Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6583  
Subject: Re: Where to Start? Date: 10/15/2012 1:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Do you know what these purchases consisted of? Stuff she actually needed? Thought she needed? Need (of whatever kind) didn't even enter into the equation? Some of each category? Can any of these purchases be returned? Can those who provided services be contacted to explain the circumstances and request a partial or full refund?

I know where about $4K came from. A few years ago she had to have roof damage repaired. The costs was about that give or take. It was in the days before she had insurance on the house.

Now she has insurance, but the last time there was damage to the house, she couldn't afford the deductible, so things were fixed the way they should be. I would imagine, though I don't know for sure, that some of the money may have been from the use of a credit card to pay her taxes and insurance.

Beyond that, who knows what she spent the money on? My stepdad has been gone for 8 years and she has nothing of any real value in the house. I'm sure a lot of it went to clothes, as she has two closets stuffed full, but her clothing connection closed her shop last year, so she isn't spending on that any more, but she was very resistent when I suggested we take them to a resale shop.

Quite honestly, what I see happening at this point is that she'll make minimum payments until she passes. At which point the cards will be cut up and returned with a copy of her death certificate and the accounts will be closed. The home mortgage refi place will take the rest.

LWW
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement