Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tmorrow Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: Do you make non-deductible IRA contributions? Date: 12/27/2000 10:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm in a high-AGI situation this year, and I can't make any contributions to a Roth IRA, and can only make non-deductible IRA contributions. It's not clear that it's worthwhile to do so; It seems to me that I could get the same tax-free compounding with a regular taxable investment by just buying it and holding it until I'm ready to retire, and pay less taxes to boot. Let me explain.

The advantages of the non-deductible IRA contributions are:
- I can switch the money around within the IRA at will without incurring taxes until retirement.
- I only pay taxes on the gain (not principal), but at ordinary tax rates.
- I don't have to worry about distributions from the equities I invest in; they compound tax-free.

The advantages of forgoing the IRA and just buying and holding lets say Berkshire Hathaway stock are:
- I only pay taxes on the gain, at capital gains rates.
- I have freedom to take distributions whenever I want without paying a 10% penalty.

I can buy and hold a stock with little or no distributions (like Berkshire Hathaway) for 30 years until retirement, and that seems to be the Foolish thing to do. I can thumb my nose at all the rules and regulations of the IRA. I will end up paying lower taxes at the end because they will be CG rates rather than ordinary income, and I will have the flexibility to retire on whatever schedule I want. Of course I'll miss out on the opporunity to spend countless hours worrying about where I should move my funds within the IRA.

If there is anyone making non-deductible IRA contributions, please enlighten me if I've missed your reasons for doing so.

-Tom
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement