UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10547  
Subject: Do You Own a Movie Collection? Date: 10/3/2012 3:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was reading an article over on the avsforum about whether the phrase "home theater" is used too much and thus whether those with MUCH fancier systems should start calling theirs "home cinema". While reading this I suddenly wondered whether those with the very pricey home cinemas also have vast collections of blue-ray dvds or whatever to choose from. And of course I then wondered what everyone here has.

Before dvds there was, of course, VHS and laser discs. I own a VCR. It's probably our 3rd one, back when "plus" was added to the label, whatever that meant. We almost never rented a video. Generally, we lived too far from any rental stores and so never got into the habit. (Unlike my younger sister who went bonkers and bought VHS movies all the time and now is having a devil of a time getting rid of them). I hardly ever bought a movie either. Most I do have were gifts, watched once or twice. Most of them seem to be Christmas movies and I watch them while making cookies or when my sister comes for the holiday. But mainly we used the VCR to tape shows we wouldn't be home to watch, etc. (Tivo? who needs it?)

Then DVDs came along and I have even fewer of them. So mostly my home theater gets its workout from what I get through the satellite box and my approximately 10-15 dvds. I know the general store up the road has a small dvd rental selection, I should probably join. (I've never done netflix, either)

So are any of you as crazed as my sister and own tons of movies to be watched at your leisure on your fantastic home theaters/cinemas? Or are you still in the stone age with me?

RM - banging rocks
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9630 of 10547
Subject: Re: Do You Own a Movie Collection? Date: 10/3/2012 7:20 PM
I'm slowly collecting them. I have some DVDs, and now am collecting BluRay. My collection is NOT extensive. We lucked into a sale at WB not long ago, and I obtained the complete Harry Potter at about $9 per movie (BluRay). A few years ago Costco had the boxed sets of Babylon 5 at a good price, so I got those. I simply had to have Firefly, so I bought the series (and the movie Serenity) on DVD. I managed to get the 15th anniversary edition of Stargate recently for around $8 (BluRay sale).

Every so often we'll spot a sale on a title we like, and we'll pick it up. I got Swordfish that way, for example. And EdTV. But I don't pay $15 (or more) for a disc (though I may have for Serenity...but that's a special case!). If it's under $10, I consider it. Though most movies after I've seen it once I'm done. There aren't that many movies I enjoy seeing more than once (since I know the ending after the first viewing).

I'd guess I have maybe 30 titles. Give or take (taking the Babylon 5 series as '5' since there are 5 boxes, 1 per season).

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9631 of 10547
Subject: Re: Do You Own a Movie Collection? Date: 10/3/2012 8:08 PM
RM:

The difference between a home theater and a home cinema is about a million dollars. That’s what my friend Simon did and that took stripping the room to the studs and building a 29 foot screen together with separate amps for each speaker and so on and expensively so on. It seats four in a room 40x60x16.

Cheapest was to make a home theater into a home cinema: buy an exit sign and hang it over a doorway.

Just for you, RM, since I don’t know exactly how many DVDs I have, I measured the shelves they’re on and it comes to 70 feet. At 20 DVDs a foot that’s about 1400 or so (give or take because there’s boxed sets in there). What can I say but I’m a hoarder – like books, I can’t throw them away. I should point out, however, almost all of the DVDs are pre-owed and not retail. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

I just read 1poorguy’s response and all I can say is there’s another reason for liking him: great choices in SF. Those are movies one just sits down at and has the sound and picture roll over you.

MichaelR

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9632 of 10547
Subject: Re: Do You Own a Movie Collection? Date: 10/3/2012 9:26 PM
1400? LOL maybe you could give my sister a run for her money.

I have no intention of trying to make myself a million dollar home cinema or even the $50,000 ones that were mentioned in the article. I'd be happy to put another $750 into this one in the next year or two (oh look, that would get me the Yamaha AND the entire AT2200 set I've been looking at....)

DH liked the exit sign idea. ;-)

Sounds like all 3 of us have great taste in SF. I also own Serenity. For a while there the Science Channel was playing Firefly every weekend so I got my fix. I also seem to have commandeered my other sister's box set of Babylon 5 movies and as she hasn't asked for them back I'm hanging on to them. I actually taped that whole series off the TV with my trusty VCR. I can't say I'm willing to spend money on a dvd collection of TV shows. But I simply have to have some movies which is why I bought the LotR trilogy last Christmas.

Just asked DH if there was some movie he could watch over and over. "Alien" he said. Well, I may have to upgrade his Boxed VHS set this Christmas.

RM

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9633 of 10547
Subject: Re: Do You Own a Movie Collection? Date: 10/4/2012 11:19 AM
But I simply have to have some movies which is why I bought the LotR trilogy last Christmas.

I have those on DVD also. Can't believe I forgot to mention them. Yes, definitely on my "must have" list.

"Alien" is one I would pick up if it were on sale. A lot of the impact is lost once you know when/where the beastie is going to appear.**

If you get "Aliens", get the director's cut. A friend had that on VHS, and it is MUCH better than the theatrical release. It adds perhaps 5 minutes of footage, and those 5 minutes really fill in some detail and give the movie more depth (IMO).

1poorguy

**I saw the original in the theater. "In space no one can hear you scream." That was an experience. When Kane's chest popped someone in the theater literally jumped up and sprinted up the aisle and out the door.

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9634 of 10547
Subject: Re: Do You Own a Movie Collection? Date: 10/4/2012 11:41 AM
**I saw the original in the theater. "In space no one can hear you scream." That was an experience. When Kane's chest popped someone in the theater literally jumped up and sprinted up the aisle and out the door.

LOL. I also saw it in a theater with my sisters and very few other people, it was a matinee but I know I jumped, I didn't run away though. It was a great movie to see on the big screen.

we think we've seen the director's cut of Aliens. Did they add footage of Newt's family being killed?

I do wonder if I should buy any more dvds though I can see myself eventually getting a blu-ray player, though I doubt DH would till the current one breaks. I'm not sure we use it enough to "break" it. Have to work on that. ;-)

RM

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9636 of 10547
Subject: Re: Do You Own a Movie Collection? Date: 10/4/2012 12:45 PM
Thinking about it, there might be 10 minutes extra. This would include:

1. Showing Ripley find out that her daughter had grown up, lived a life, and died.
2. Showing LV428 before the alien eggs were found (kids running around the corridors); the issuing of the instruction to check out a set of coordinates (the alien vessel), and the first person who ended up with a crab on his face.
3. A summary of equipment recovered from the APC after Ripley crashes it. It included the automatic guns, and that they were being deployed.

Those are the bits I remember anyway. There may have been a little more. It's been several years since I saw it.

1poorguy

P.S. If you do get a new amp I would favor one that does up-conversion. If you get BluRay that is less important, but it's still nice getting DVD and TV at higher definition.

Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9637 of 10547
Subject: Re: Do You Own a Movie Collection? Date: 10/4/2012 1:13 PM
Michael would be polite and try not to sneer at my sound system (if system is the word I'm looking for), but we've got some DVDs.

When we lived in Dubai, we would buy entire series each year. All the Buffy's and Angels, Sopranos, Firefly and, yes, Serendipity, and a host of movies and other series. We would buy them from Amazon.com and have them shipped over.

When we moved back to Canada last year, we sold about half of them, along with 200 laser disks (remember them?).

We have a motley collection not only of titles, but also formats and regions. I reprogrammed the players to accept the formats and regions for DVDs, but Blue-Ray regions can't be done. At least not by me. Yet.

We've got about 400 remaining.

Rip

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9638 of 10547
Subject: Re: Do You Own a Movie Collection? Date: 10/4/2012 3:54 PM
I do wonder if I should buy any more dvds though I can see myself eventually getting a blu-ray player, though I doubt DH would till the current one breaks. I'm not sure we use it enough to "break" it. Have to work on that. ;-)

RM

There’s an inexpensive Blu-ray player from LG I’d recommend: http://www.lg.com/ca_en/video-players/lg-BP120-blu-ray-dvd-p... Cost is about $90.

The point of getting it is not only because it plays Blu-ray discs but that it also upscales standard DVDs from 480 to 1080 and the difference is remarkable and you don’t lose the investment you’ve made in your discs.

MichaelR

Author: Razz037 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9681 of 10547
Subject: Re: Do You Own a Movie Collection? Date: 10/10/2012 1:18 PM
Recommendations: 1
I have 271 DVD/Blu-rays. 101 of them are Blu-rays. Average cost = $9.71.

Yup, I have a spreadsheet (Catagory 1,Title, Catagory 2, Year, Format, Cost, Vendor, and date purchased). I should add studio.

I only buy ones I want to watch more than once.... I know, right?

Razz

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9690 of 10547
Subject: Re: Do You Own a Movie Collection? Date: 10/10/2012 10:50 PM
I tried to do a spread sheet of my cds once.

I got tired of typing. Obviously, I should have started at the beginning rather than after the 1st hundred or so.

RM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement