UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63109  
Subject: Re: ZD30 vs Argo Date: 1/28/2013 5:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
do you think the CIA operative who was at the heart of the story and focused on the messenger actually was:
- having dinner with her colleague in the Marriott restaurant when the explosives went off


One background I read indicated that yes, she was having lunch with a colleague. I can't find the specific cite right now, but this is close:
http://threatswatch.org/rapidrecon/2008/09/pakistan-bombing-...

- exited her home to drive to work and had multiple gun shots to her front dash and windshied

Again, yes, that was real.

- was in the process of texting her work colleague while that collague died in the car bomb blast along with 6 other CIA agents.

Don't know. Probably not. Mark Boal said he had to do some "time compression" putting 10 years worth of hunt into a two hour movie. Do I think she ever texted her and didn't get a response? Could be. Doesn't sound far fetched.

- flew to the Navy SEAL base to let them know her personal reasons why she thought it was Bin Laden in the complex

That did happen. Absolutely. "Mark Owen" talked about it in "No Easy Day."

- had a military aircraft arrive for her and her alone. Have a pilot ask, "where do you want to go now?".

Don't know. She would have had to get in and out somehow, and it wouldn't have been a corporate jet from an Air Base in Afghanistan. But maybe there were other people on board. Dunno. She did ID the body in the bag, according to the Seal book, and she did appear only a day or two later at CIA HQ.

Argo changed the ending to make it more dramatic, but the ending was accurate, they all managed to escape.

Well, the ending was "accurate", except for being pushed around in the airport, getting through the gate in the nick of time, the guards commandeering a jeep and driving 90 mph down the runway trying to stop the takeoff of a 747. This is a "small detail" but the ones up top are "big"? Pretty sure ZD30 had an accurate ending, too. Bin Laden: dead.

Well, apparently that wasn't true either. LOL. He said that during those couple of months, they actually "had a good time" while hiding out.

Yes, that's right. I saw that interview too. I'm sure being cooped up for so long wasn't a barrel of laughs, but apparently those involved did have a reasonably comfortable stay.

I would enjoy watching a movie accurately showing how the go forward decision was made, who was on each side of that decision, and how they argued and supported their decision.

There was some of that in "Inside the Situation Room" on the Military Channel (originally NBC's Rock 30). A YouTube search will bring up a multipart video, most of which is concerned with the raid itself (of course), but some of which shows the actual Sit Room and some of the counsel and advice that was being tossed around. Pretty sure that was the one. There have been so many... Several of the docu- dramas concerned themselves with this point, to varying degrees they all agreed that there was pushback from the White House to "get better intel" because (for obvious reasons, I think) a failed raid would preclude the possibility of doing to again and would have drastic domestic and geopolitical consequences.

One thing ZD30 did not do was show the President's involvement (Obama barely appears, and then only as a short clip playing on a background TV set), but several other stories are clear that the original CIA plan involved only two choppers, and it was the White House that insisted on "backup" in case something went wrong - as it did. Still, at the end of the day, most assessments (except for the one CIA op) was that there was a 60% chance that OBL was there. The Red Team (an independent group brought in to evaluate the intel) gave it 40%. Not confidence inspiring, to say the least. The easy option would have been to drop a couple of smart bombs on the compound and walk away, but then there would never be any proof that OBL was there or that he was dead.

I've also read a couple of pieces that "Maya" (or whatever he real name is) is very un-liked at the agency, that she thinks she deserves all the credit (because it was such an uphill struggle to get others on board), and that she's pissed she was passed over for a promotion.

“The CIA workforce has a lot of back-fighting. They’re hard to manage, they’re hard on their bosses,” David Ignatius, a Washington Post foreign affairs columnist, told TODAY. “These are people that were picked in a sense for their contrariness.”
That trait appeared obvious when the real-life “Maya” fought with CIA colleagues over credit for the Bin Laden mission. The Washington Post reports that after being given the Distinguished Intelligence Medal, the highest honor except for those who came under direct fire, the CIA agent lashed out in a “reply all” email to dozens of other recipients.
The Post attributed a former agency official as characterizing the email’s message as, “You guys tried to obstruct me. You fought me. Only I deserve the award.”
The Post said the woman did receive a cash bonus for her work but that failed to stop increasing internal friction within the agency.

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2012/12/13/15884711-zero-da...
 
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Hollywood Stock Exchange Game
Trade those actors and movies on the HSX board.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement