Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: garyherndon Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120826  
Subject: Dodging the Marriage Penalty Date: 2/12/2002 12:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is my first post to this board, and I have searched a lot, looking at the marriage penalty posts for my question, but I could not find it. Basically, my fiancee wants to get married on Dec 28th this year. Being more money-conscious than romantic, I instinctivly thought of the tax implications. After crunching several spreadsheets I have decided that marriage is bad :). For 2002 it would penalize us over $1600. (We both work). Anyway, I was wondering if there was any way to have a wedding on the 28th, but not be _legally_ (in the eyes of the IRS) married until Jan 1. Is this doable, or do I need to cancel the wedding and live alone counting my money for the rest of my life? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gary Herndon
Print the post Back To Top
Author: garyherndon Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58822 of 120826
Subject: Re: Dodging the Marriage Penalty Date: 2/12/2002 1:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
P.S. If you gurus solve this one, I will definately pay the $30 to hang around here another year! :)

-gary

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58823 of 120826
Subject: Re: Dodging the Marriage Penalty Date: 2/12/2002 1:10 AM
Recommendations: 2
Does your fiancee know you're posting this? There is no legal way to be legally married on Dec. 28 and file as single for the same tax year.

I haven't the faintest idea whether you could illegally claim to be single and get away with it. And I wouldn't want to be caught trying to do so.

Ira

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58825 of 120826
Subject: Re: Dodging the Marriage Penalty Date: 2/12/2002 1:55 AM
Recommendations: 1
... or do I need to cancel the wedding and live alone counting my money for the rest of my life? Any advice is appreciated.

I let my clients know that marriage counseling is extra. ;-)

There will probably never be a good time to get married (from a tax standpoint, that is). As we are fond of saying here, don't let the tax tail wag the investment dog. If saving $1600 is all that important, perhaps you'd better consider if getting married is more important.

--Peter

PS - As an alternative, I'd check into booking the chapel for the week after your current plan.

Author: LooseChange One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58840 of 120826
Subject: Re: Dodging the Marriage Penalty Date: 2/12/2002 9:28 AM
Recommendations: 2
I do not fully understand the legal issues involved, and there may be some regulation in your state/county that would prevent what I'm thinking. In my mind (feeble as it may be), a wedding ceremony is just that, a ceremony. You can go through a ceremony and still not be legally married at the end if you don't sign the marriage license. Similarly, you could obtain all of the appropriate signatures on the license tomorrow (and file it with your county/state) and have the ceremony on Dec. 28th. You would then have legally been married for most of the year and not on Dec. 28. In my mind, a legal marriage occurs when the license is signed, dated, notarized, whatever is required.

I do not know if your jurisdiction or the "officiator" of your wedding has any strong feelings on this issue. To even consider this route, you would have to have the cooperation of whoever has the marriage authority in your case (as a minimum), but it may not even be possible if there are other legal limitations.

On a side note, be sure your (future) wife is on the same page with you on this. DO NOT try to slide one by her over $1600. In most weddings that I'm familiar with, the woman does the bulk of the planning and agonizing over getting everything together (it is, afterall, a celebration for the bride despite anything that the man may be thinking - you just stand there and do as you're told on that day). She may have some very strong feelings about not being legally married on the day of HER wedding. An error in judgment on your part will follow you forever. I would not even bring it up to her if there could be a problem.

Best wishes on your future together.

LoosChange

Author: poker120 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58884 of 120826
Subject: Re: Dodging the Marriage Penalty Date: 2/12/2002 11:19 PM
garyherndorn posted :
"P.S. If you gurus solve this one, I will definately pay the $30 to hang around here another"

I'm not waiting... This question/answer thread was worth the admission price of $30.00.

Marry the lady and forget the money... She may not be around the following week..

Author: MEG Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59032 of 120826
Subject: Re: Dodging the Marriage Penalty Date: 2/17/2002 8:38 AM
I wonder if you could have the (Religious) ceremony on the 28th and go to the town hall in early Jan. th get the actual License.
You are not legally married until you get the License.

Good Luck.

Meg

Author: mlk58 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59036 of 120826
Subject: Re: Dodging the Marriage Penalty Date: 2/17/2002 1:42 PM
I wonder if you could have the (Religious) ceremony on the 28th and go to the town hall in early Jan. th get the actual License.

This is illegal in California, and I bet it is in most or all states:

California Penal Code section 30 provides:

"§ 360. Solemnizing marriages; presentment of license; authorization; false returns; misdemeanor

"Every person authorized to solemnize any marriage, who solemnizes a marriage without first being presented with the marriage license, as required by Section 421 of the Family Code; or who solemnizes a marriage pursuant to Part 4 (commencing with Section 500) of Division 3 of the Family Code without the authorization required by that part; or who willfully makes a false return of any marriage or pretended marriage to the recorder or clerk and every person who willfully makes a false record of any marriage return, is guilty of a misdemeanor."

Author: rsprang Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59104 of 120826
Subject: Re: Dodging the Marriage Penalty Date: 2/19/2002 1:09 PM

That information would be incorrect for Ohio. I was married in Ohio. In Ohio, you are legally married when the minister says 'I now pronouce you man and wife'. Granted, you have to obtain a marriage license to get to that point, but you can (and some do) get the license, then not get married.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement