Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Does anyone know exactly what we must do if we are hiring a nanny 3 days a week to help look after our baby (they will come to our place of residence which I understand is a requirement they are not a licenced care center). (??what tax forms must we fill out, ?withholdings calculations, and where to get forms??)

Domestic help wages greater than 1000 in a calendar year paid to an individual who provides domestic type services in one's home should be reported to the recepient on form W2.

You as the employer are required to pay any payroll taxes on such labor once per year on your individual tax return by completing schedule H along with your 1040.

These wages may also require reporting to your state's Unemployment Bureau and quarterly or annual returns may be required there also. Just depends on the states in which you live and their laws.

If the services are performed outside of your home the reporting requirements would then fall on the person who provides the services.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.