UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1932888  
Subject: Does Big Bird net $200 Million/Yr? Date: 10/6/2012 8:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Another one of those rumors is making the rounds.

This time, the meme is that Sesame Street characters provide $250 million in net profits to PBS every year.

That may have been possible in the old days when Tickle Me Elmos were selling for $1,000 on Christmas Eve -

- but these days, I doubt that the Sesame Street toys, games, stuffed characters, puppets, kiddie computers, radios, beach towels, mouse pads, pet products, Halloween costumes, sleepwear, bedsheets, pillows, curtains, telephones, dinnerware, placemats, doormats, socks, backpacks, caps, belts, sweatshirts, jewelry, fingerpaints, lamps, cribs, playpens, swings, kiddie cars, puppets, balloons, party favors, notebooks, pencils, markers, pens, flashlights, cooke jars and other assorted goods could possibly net almost a quarter of a billion dollars!

If Big Bird makes that kind of money, it seems strange that he can't survive without the equivalent of charitable support from taxpayers.

If Big Bird is making more money than other PBS shows are bringing in, then maybe Big Bird should "spread his wealth around" and help out his less successful neighbors on PBS.

-Signed Bugs Bunny

=:3
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821688 of 1932888
Subject: Re: Does Big Bird net $200 Million/Yr? Date: 10/6/2012 8:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
This time, the meme is that Sesame Street characters provide $250 million in net profits to PBS every year.

That may have been possible in the old days when Tickle Me Elmos were selling for $1,000 on Christmas Eve -

============================================

You do realize that what someone paid retail on Christmas eve had no impact whatsoever on the wholesale price,right?

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821695 of 1932888
Subject: Re: Does Big Bird net $200 Million/Yr? Date: 10/6/2012 9:09 AM
what someone paid retail on Christmas eve had no impact whatsoever on the wholesale price

I think that this is the probable source of the information or misinformation:

...franchises like Sesame Street "are multimillion-dollar enterprises capable of thriving in the private market. According to the 990 tax form all nonprofits are required to file, Sesame Workshop President and CEO Gary Knell received $956,513 -- nearly a million dollars -- in compensation in 2008. And, from 2003 to 2006, 'Sesame Street' made more than $211 million from toy and consumer product sales."

http://townhall.com/columnists/michellemalkin/2012/10/05/des...

Although I understand that Obama and celebrities are coming swinging on behalf of Big Bird's CEO and his millions, I think it might be a mistake to air TV ads in which Romney is accused of trying to take away things that children love.

Romney's campaign could come out with TV ads showing how Michelle Obama's campaign against the foods kids love has created millions of hungry children by decimating the school lunch program.

Kids are boycotting the new Obama-supported "healthy eating" programs nationwide:

...The set lunch that cost $2.50 last year now costs $2.60. The cafeteria still offers pizza, French fries and chicken nuggets, but all of the servings have shrunk. And the packaged baby carrots and apples that each student must take before leaving the lunch line usually end up in the trash, said Brandon Faris, a boycott organizer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/06/nyregion/healthier-school-...

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821696 of 1932888
Subject: Re: Does Big Bird net $200 Million/Yr? Date: 10/6/2012 9:12 AM
Recommendations: 1
You do realize that what someone paid retail on Christmas eve had no impact whatsoever on the wholesale price,right?

Jesus Christ, as a group you are all just friggin unbelievable

You do realize that what people ill pay retail has everything to do with what someone gets paid for the rights to take a product to market right?

You folks can't really be this stupid. Seriously. Do you think at all before you post this stuff? Or better yet, perhaps the more salient point is do you folks think at all?

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821698 of 1932888
Subject: Re: Does Big Bird net $200 Million/Yr? Date: 10/6/2012 9:22 AM
And the packaged baby carrots and apples that each student must take before leaving the lunch line usually end up in the trash,

This is because we are rearing up the stupidest children on the planet. Behind in math. Ignorant of geography (like most of their parents). And now scornful of healthy, nutritious foods to the point of wasting them while others go hungry.

This isn't exactly something we should be touting. Better we should be completely embarrassed.

AM

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821700 of 1932888
Subject: Re: Does Big Bird net $200 Million/Yr? Date: 10/6/2012 9:25 AM
What does that have to do with the retail price of tickle me elmo? You are the one that brought the it up.

Did you forget you wrote this?

http://boards.fool.com/does-big-bird-net-200-millionyr-30303...

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821701 of 1932888
Subject: Re: Does Big Bird net $200 Million/Yr? Date: 10/6/2012 9:28 AM

Jesus Christ, as a group you are all just friggin unbelievable

You do realize that what people ill pay retail has everything to do with what someone gets paid for the rights to take a product to market right?

You folks can't really be this stupid. Seriously. Do you think at all before you post this stuff? Or better yet, perhaps the more salient point is do you folks think at all?
====================================

Which is why I questioned the OP's statement, without taking the Lord's name in vain.

If you are talking about/to me maybe you need to take a better look at the thread.

Jean

Author: 99lashes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821703 of 1932888
Subject: Re: Does Big Bird net $200 Million/Yr? Date: 10/6/2012 9:44 AM
I WANNA SEE HIS TAX RETURNS!

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821704 of 1932888
Subject: Re: Does Big Bird net $200 Million/Yr? Date: 10/6/2012 9:47 AM
I WANNA SEE HIS TAX RETURNS!

The heck with that, I turned on the show once, and there he as looking down at black people. That racist should be off the air!

Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821708 of 1932888
Subject: Re: Does Big Bird net $200 Million/Yr? Date: 10/6/2012 10:07 AM

$200 million is almost as much money as Romney has. Maybe Big Bird ought to run for prezident as a Republican.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821710 of 1932888
Subject: Re: Does Big Bird net $200 Million/Yr? Date: 10/6/2012 10:10 AM
$200 million is almost as much money as Romney has. Maybe Big Bird ought to run for prezident as a Republican.

Well he does have a record of success at something, so you know Democrat is out. If he succeeded there must be something he is doing wrong.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821769 of 1932888
Subject: Re: Does Big Bird net $200 Million/Yr? Date: 10/6/2012 12:59 PM
Go to the toy store and Sesame Street toys are still all over the place...and that's not the only kids show on PBS that sells books, toys etc.

BTW, another point is that PBS could sell commercials. They already sell sponsorships so at the begining of certain shows you know who paid for the show. Chuck E Cheese sponsors Arthur and Super WHY!.

There's no reason for a government run media outlet. Why would anyone trust the news when it's sponsored by the government? Do you trust what politicians say? Never believe the government regardless of who is in charge.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement