Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Does California require the same filing status for state returns that is used on the federal returns?

Yes, unless you have a Registered Domestic Partnership or a same-sex marriage.

Keep in mind that you can always amend later to switch to MFJ, but you can't amend to get to separate returns. At this point, filing the separate returns might be the path of least resistance, and you can consider changing your mind (or the client's minds) later.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.