Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Beckywine Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122014  
Subject: Does neutering prevent spraying? Date: 9/15/1999 10:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Maybe someone can help me, I've gotten so many different answers already that now I'm very confused, but hopefully I can get some good advice.

I have two male rottweilers (approx. 3 yrs. old). One has been neutered, the other not. The unneutered dog sprays, and always has. We have tried crating him at night, but that only works for a limited time.

We just moved into a new house, and he hasn't done it for the first two weeks, and then he did it last night. We have white tile floor so I would have noticed immediately if he had done it previously (purposely did not carpet the basement because of his problem). I say if we neuter the dog the problem will go away, but my husband is reluctant to neuter him. I almost had him won over until we asked a vet who said it might not help because he was already an adult dog (why would a vet sway AGAINST neutering an animal?) Two dog trainers told us the same thing, then another trainer told us they wouldn't consider re-training the dog until he WAS neutered. I let the subject drop because he stopped spraying and I thought he just gave it up (very naieve, I know). So my questions are...

Why does a dog spray his scent in his own home?
What can be done to prevent this? (and if the answer is neutering give me a source so I can prove it to my husband)

I still think neutering is the best bet, personally, especially since one vet told me unneutered dogs are very susceptible to prostrate cancer.

Thank you folks!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement