UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: havefunsaving Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1021  
Subject: Re: IRA Contributions higher than what I expect Date: 2/18/2008 5:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Does Sharebuilder take into affect reinvested dividends? IF so (and this is a tax question) can I claim the higher amount as my 2007 IRA contribution?

Reinvested dividends are merely earnings that you have chosen to invest in the same company. Earnings within an IRA have no bearing on contributions and have no tax consequences until withdrawn from the IRA, which then count as ordinary income to the IRA owner.

If you have any plan with ShareBuilder beyond the Basic "free" plan, the monthly fee may be counted as contributions. If, for instance, you are on the Standard Plan at $12/month, that would add $144 to your yearly contribution totals. Following is a section from the ShareBuilder site:

What methods can be used to pay the IRA/ESA administration fee?

You can choose between four different methods to pay your IRA or ESA administration fee:

* Checking/saving account
* Check
* Credit Card
* Pay with account assets

To choose your method of payment, follow the instructions below:

1. Navigate to Accounts > Overview > IRA/ESA Administration (log in required).
2. In the Administration Fee section, click Edit Payment Preference.
3. Select payment method and click Save.

Note: This fee can be paid outside of normal account contributions, meaning that it may not apply to your annual contribution limit. To ensure that your payment is not considered a contribution, please follow all instructions for the selected payment option. Please wait to submit any fee payment until you receive your invoice via email.

Might I be so bold as to mention that IF this is the reason for your contribution differential, that you strongly consider going to the Basic plan. With only $65/month being contributed, paying a monthly fee to make automatic trades is self-defeating in terms of income generation for your retirement. That amounts to an 18.5% hit that you must overcome before actually making money with which to grow your retirement funds.

OTOH, if this has nothing to do with the different amounts for contributions, then your next call should be to customer service to figure out the discrepancy. Actually, you should call them anyway, just to verify that you have all the necessary facts and information on how to best manage your (wife's) account.

Best regards,
Kathie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement