UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25060  
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/30/2012 11:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does she look like Mom?

There are several similarities, yes. Not as many as you'd expect. 1poorlady's side of the family is odd in this respect. She and her sister don't look much alike (to me), and neither look like their mother, and 1poorkid is a bit different from all of them also. Every now and then, if the lighting is right and hair is in a particular configuration I'll see a sort of "flash" of commonality. Other times, not at all.

But 1pk does look very Asian. No mistaking that.

I hope the kids do cross paths. I think it would be awesome if she made it to one of the "biggies". Though recently she's been concerned about quality of education. She's thinking the first 2 years at a community college will afford her a better education than a 4-yr university (during the first two years).

She has a point. Undergrads are scum at any research university. The president of my university (when I was in grad school) said the university would run better without them. (As you might imagine, that was big news on campus and lots of folks were not happy.) During the first two years at a big school you end up in lecture halls with 500 other students, probably never get to ask the professor anything at all, and likely come away with minimal understanding of the material. Such is the nature of a lecture hall.

I'm somewhat torn here because I really was one-poor-guy, so that's exactly what I did. Two years at a local college (something like $130 per semester then), transferred credits to ASU to get my bachelor's (at about $700/sem). But I can't help but think that if she gets a diploma from Stanford that will carry a lot more weight when she goes to med school (which is still her plan, apparently). Justified or not, I think that's how it is. And I don't think she can get much in the way scholarships if she goes to a CC for the first two years. But coming out of high school she might get a full ride (if she can keep up her performance, and her place in the NHS).

Fortunately for us, he goes BSC if he's not burning off 5,000 calories a day running and working out.

1poorlady and I have noticed she's not as happy as she was when she was playing (HS and club also). Even though she was busier as a result of playing. But she denies it. I'm trying to figure out how to get her back into it without being too heavy-handed.

1poorguy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement