Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Godlikefools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121179  
Subject: does this count as wash sale? Date: 1/29/2001 1:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Q: If I sold JDSU today (for a tax loss) and buy SDLI immediately, and let's assume the two companies merge next month (or next quarter). Do I avoid the wash sale or not?

I think by doing so the only 'risk' I have is that they don't merge and SDLI may drop further!?

Thanks

taxfool
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45067 of 121179
Subject: Re: does this count as wash sale? Date: 1/29/2001 2:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If I sold JDSU today (for a tax loss) and buy SDLI immediately, and let's assume the two companies merge next month (or next quarter). Do I avoid the wash sale or not?

Our general opinion is that if the merger hasn't proceeded to the point that it's a sure thing, the other company is not "substantially identical." You can get a more thorough discussion by typing "wash merger" in the search box above.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement