Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Does this help at all or is this the same thing you guys have already seen? From:

Yes, we had already seen that. Here's the problem. I'm assuming that motleync was a resident of NC before leaving the country. Generally, once you become a resident of a state, you remain a resident of that state until you can document that you've established residence in a different state. Establishing residence in a different country does not usually terminate state residence. Finally, even if NC allows you to terminate residency by establishing permanent residency in a foreign country, it's not clear that motleync has completed the steps required to establish permanent foreign residency.

Direct questioning of the customer service reps at NC DOR may provide more information, but on issues such as these I prefer going to an experienced tax professional. There are probably some grey areas here and the DOR staff will tell the official position and not the alternative positions.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.