Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Re: Modified Adjusted Gross Income Date: 1/31/2007 10:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Does this mean there are no "MAGI" limits for a traditional IRA?

There are none. Whether a traditional IRA contribution is deductible depends on whether you were covered by a retirement plan at work. If either you or spouse was, traditional IRA contributions for 2006 are nondeductible, and you'll need to report them on Form 8606.

If not, then converting the 2006 contributions and earnings to traditional would seem to be the way to go. These were both new Roth accounts opened at Vanguard in 2006 so whatever the share balance was on 12/31/06 is what would have to be moved to a traditional IRA.

Sounds right to me.

If you don't leave things as they are, once you've decided what you're going to do you must abandon the interview mode in TurboTax and deal with forms if you want a prayer of getting it right. Let's just leave things where they are until you decide your course of action. Then start a new thread and we can help you with how to deal with it on your return.

I didn't save the changes to the return after entering the IRA data so I can start from that point once I get things straightened out.

You were Foolish not to save your return when you realized something was amiss. Don't get foolish now and try to attack this through the interview mode. The problem with interview mode is that you'll have to find a way to tell it that you made an excess contribution to Roth and have corrected it by.... You'll wind up pulling your hair out, if not worse, and still won't wind up with everything you need. You can trust me on this one or read up in Pub 590 and the instructions for Form 8606.

Phil
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement