Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My sister is 75 and has been working in a full time job and collecting Social Security since she was 65.. Now this year she wants to stop working and she chose November 1st has her retirement date from her full time job. Now she is being told by her Income tax person that because she is retiring this year she has to take her full RMD out of her 459 (state employer 401k). Does that even sound right? She has to pull the full percentage out and pay taxes on it because she is retiring in November. If she had waiting until January this year would not be required to pull an RMD from the plan.

Does even sound right. With our money hungry government nothing would surprise me but this feels so unfair to her.

I appreciate any thoughts on how she could avoid this in any way other than having to go back through her HR department and basically start from scratch to change her retirement date to January.

Thanks in advance.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement