Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AdvocatusDiaboli Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 13999  
Subject: Does this sound ok Date: 9/10/2012 7:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am translating marketing material for an IT company. "best practice consulting and solution concept" is basically a literal translation.
I was wondering if the result sounds silly to a native speaker (or more silly than texts of this nature usually sound) and if so, how it could be improved upon.

"the tried-and-tested best practice consulting and solution concept of SOFTWARE COMPANY gets you up and running within days"
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12583 of 13999
Subject: Re: Does this sound ok Date: 9/10/2012 10:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
"the tried-and-tested best practice consulting and solution concept of SOFTWARE COMPANY gets you up and running within days"

SOFTWARE COMPANY's vetted, field-tested approach to finding the best solution in the shortest time will have you up and running in days.

sheila

Author: knighttof3 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12584 of 13999
Subject: Re: Does this sound ok Date: 9/10/2012 12:54 PM
Recommendations: 1

SOFTWARE COMPANY's vetted, field-tested approach to finding the best solution in the shortest time will have you up and running in days.

Too far, promises too much. No one said anything about field-tested or shortest time To be fair, "running within days" is a short time, but may not be open to be claimed as the shortest.

Is "Solution concept" just marketing BS or does it mean something like a proprietary method? I will assume it's marketing, but otherwise the translation can be even better.

So, not disturbing OP's translation too much:
The best consulting practices and solutions from SOFTWARE COMPANY get you up and running within days.

("gets you up" is wrong because "concept" applies only to "solution", not to both "consulting" and "solution", I assume.)

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12585 of 13999
Subject: Re: Does this sound ok Date: 9/10/2012 2:22 PM
Too far, promises too much. No one said anything about field-tested or shortest time

When I see the phrase "tried-and-tested", which is what the OP used, to me that is field-tested. How else are you going to test something out, if not in context? And when you talk about "best practice consulting and solution" that "gets you up and running within days," to me that indicates finding the best solution in the shortest time. I don't see the statement as going too far and promising too much. But.....that's me.

And in any case, I think the sentence is a lot more effective when it opens with SOFTWARE COMPANY's. The focus is immediately on SOFTWARE COMPANY instead of finally getting there after a bunch of impersonal words. It's more direct and flows better. To transpose yours, which was....

"The best consulting practices and solutions from SOFTWARE COMPANY get you up and running within days."

And now it becomes....

"SOFTWARE COMPANY's best consulting practices and solutions get you up and running within days."

sheila

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12587 of 13999
Subject: Re: Does this sound ok Date: 9/11/2012 12:08 PM
As an IT person myself...

The original sounds alright. As you put it, it's no more silly than those things usually are.

Frydaze1

Author: RaplhCramden Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12732 of 13999
Subject: Re: Does this sound ok Date: 11/15/2012 4:11 PM
MBAonics. In certain in circles it passes for meaningful.

I'm surprised one can have such constructions in more than one language.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement