Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Does this sound right?

Only if neither you nor your spouse works. If the income detailed in your post is the only income you have in 2000, then your figures and assumptions are correct, and taking the taxable gains in 2000 makes sense to me. Caveat: I didn't verify your figure for the top of the 15% bracket, but it sounds right.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.