Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Sridhartoronto One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5094  
Subject: Doesn't look good...GOOG scared of Microhoo? Date: 2/3/2008 9:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
"Google Inc. raised the specter of Microsoft Corp. using its proposed $42 billion acquisition of Yahoo Inc. to gain illegal control over the Internet..."

Origin: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080203/microsoft_google.html

Illegal control of internet??? To hear a top guy at a 150 billion dollar company spout such nonsense is a sad reflection of the type of growth we have been seeing over the past decade.

Is GOOG scared of the big bad Microhoo? Looks like it. All this brotherly concern about Yahoo and the need for competition in the iternet advert business is just plain BS. What about them buying Doubleclick?

Doesn't look all that good for GOOG stockholders. GOOG has accepted by this badly timed press release that it is SCARED.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: clearbranch Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4006 of 5094
Subject: Re: Doesn't look good...GOOG scared of Microhoo? Date: 2/3/2008 10:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
MSN-Yahoo will be a joke.
All this will do is make Yahoo a worthless property when everyone leaves it for Gmail.

Yahoo was great!

Yahoo under Microsoft will suck and will fade away.

CB

Author: Sridhartoronto One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4007 of 5094
Subject: Re: Doesn't look good...GOOG scared of Microhoo? Date: 2/4/2008 12:09 AM
"MSN-Yahoo will be a joke.
All this will do is make Yahoo a worthless property when everyone leaves it for Gmail"

Then why doesn't the Google CEO just uncork his finest vintage and enjoy the moment? Maybe predict that Google will fill the void left by Yahoo and soon have 100% of marketshare for internet ads making GOOG a 2000 dollar stock....

Author: caromero1965 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4008 of 5094
Subject: Re: Doesn't look good...GOOG scared of Microhoo? Date: 2/4/2008 1:57 AM
Recommendations: 4
Illegal control of internet??? To hear a top guy at a 150 billion dollar company spout such nonsense is a sad reflection of the type of growth we have been seeing over the past decade.

Is GOOG scared of the big bad Microhoo? Looks like it.

Don't be silly. GOOG has to try this response. This is a pretty routine lever to pull in a case like this.

To sit back and say to Microsoft "Bring it on" would be to do less than their utmost in the interest of their shareholders.

-A

Author: Babble Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4009 of 5094
Subject: Re: Doesn't look good...GOOG scared of Microhoo? Date: 2/4/2008 6:49 AM
Recommendations: 1
Yahoo under Microsoft will suck and will fade away.

I think Microsoft has a poor track record of integrating merger partners. Great Plains Software is but one well known example. Microsoft culture is pretty stiff. The more limber and informal companies get smothered under that blanket. The bright folks move on and Microsoft fails to get the brains and creativity that it supposedly wanted from the deal.

Author: Sridhartoronto One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4011 of 5094
Subject: Re: Doesn't look good...GOOG scared of Microhoo? Date: 2/4/2008 9:08 AM
Recommendations: 5
"Don't be silly. GOOG has to try this response. This is a pretty routine lever to pull in a case like this"

Oh c'mon....Anybody with an IQ above 80 can see the PR disaster that this is. Goliath complaining about David getting a catapult?

What would have been really good for the shareholders would be a measured PUBLIC response like "We see no danger to our growth from Microhoo , integrating two vastly different work cultures is difficult and will bog Microsoft down for the next few years." followed by an open job offer to all Yahoo employees who don't want to work under Bill. Privately Google can try to scuttle the deal by any means possible.

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4013 of 5094
Subject: Re: Doesn't look good...GOOG scared of Microhoo? Date: 2/4/2008 5:38 PM
Recommendations: 2
"Google Inc. raised the specter of Microsoft Corp. using its proposed $42 billion acquisition of Yahoo Inc. to gain illegal control over the Internet..."

Origin: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080203/microsoft_google.html

Is GOOG scared of the big bad Microhoo? Looks like it. All this brotherly concern about Yahoo and the need for competition in the iternet advert business is just plain BS. What about them buying Doubleclick?

Doesn't look all that good for GOOG stockholders. GOOG has accepted by this badly timed press release that it is SCARED.
- Sridhartoronto | Date: 2/3/2008 9:09:01 PM | Number: 4012

Just the kind of response one might expect from a Bunch of Yahoos(R) Google, however, should be more intelligent than to believe that the Internet is even subject to potential illegal control, or any real controll at all for that matter.

Kahuna,CFA

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4014 of 5094
Subject: Re: Doesn't look good...GOOG scared of Microhoo? Date: 2/4/2008 5:40 PM
Recommendations: 0
Yahoo(R) will be marginalized just like Netscape was marginalized. Who, if anyone, still uses the Netscape(R) web-browser?

Kahuna,CFA

Author: Sridhartoronto One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4016 of 5094
Subject: Re: Doesn't look good...GOOG scared of Microhoo? Date: 2/4/2008 7:45 PM
So anybody who calls Google stupid is a Yahoo(R)? How charmingly juvenile.

Author: clearbranch Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4017 of 5094
Subject: Re: Doesn't look good...GOOG scared of Microhoo? Date: 2/4/2008 11:16 PM
I would really like to see the numbers on new Google Gmail enrollments since this news came out.

I'll keep my Yahoo accounts until the evil deed is done, then I'm out of there.

Gmail doesn't look too bad. I need stock portfolio tracking though and Yahoo does this well...or they did... Post MS it will cost 20-30 bucks per month to log on to the Wesuck.net/MSN/BS/whatever...crap.

CB

Author: caromero1965 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4019 of 5094
Subject: Re: Doesn't look good...GOOG scared of Microhoo? Date: 2/5/2008 3:41 AM
Who, if anyone, still uses the Netscape(R) web-browser?

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16329/53/

Figures of all browser usage across Europe shows that Internet Explorer had 66.1% share in December 2007, compared to 28% Firefox, 3.3% Opera and 2% Safari.

Another significant statistic is the high conversion rate of Firefox users to the latest version compared to Internet Explorer users. Firefox 2 was used by 93% of users compared while only 46% of Internet Explorer users used IE7.

Firefox is also making ground in both North and South America. According to the report, 21% of users in North America now use Firefox, while 20.2% use Firefox in South America.

Author: realistTheorist One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4020 of 5094
Subject: Re: Doesn't look good...GOOG scared of Microhoo? Date: 2/5/2008 4:48 PM
Recommendations: 1
You've got to hand it to Google, having the audacity to play victim here.

Google is asking for government force to be used against a competitor (just as MSFT has done in the past). Google guys pretend to be some type of entrepreneurs working out of their garages. This shows they're just big time corrupt businessmen who will cynically use Washington to their benefit.

To shareholders, the message is two-fold. In the medium-term, know you have a regular company management that will take regular steps asking for government help. In the longer term, know you have a regular company management that will lose its shine with time. When the ball starts rolling downhill (GOOG's stock price) it will come with secondary effects -- effects that a regular management like this will probably not forestall.

Author: caromero1965 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4021 of 5094
Subject: Re: Doesn't look good...GOOG scared of Microhoo? Date: 2/8/2008 8:40 PM
To shareholders, the message is two-fold. In the medium-term, know you have a regular company management that will take regular steps asking for government help. In the longer term, know you have a regular company management that will lose its shine with time. When the ball starts rolling downhill (GOOG's stock price) it will come with secondary effects -- effects that a regular management like this will probably not forestall.

Well, it's certainly been rolling downhill lately... but... so what? what kind of company actively disdains government/legal relief and grows to this kind of size? To the extent that GOOG hasn't done this kind of thing in the past, it's been out of a lack of experience/savvy that playing the government game can be to their advantage. Schmidt aside, they're a young-ish management team, and up to a certain point I think they working so hard to look/be unconventional that they were missing tricks. I don't think that's going to be true going forward. For example, I'm sure the company is looking at every possible angle, including government and legal, to get support for their alternative energy efforts.

-A

Author: Roxx Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4022 of 5094
Subject: Re: Doesn't look good...GOOG scared of Microhoo? Date: 2/11/2008 7:25 PM
Alternative energy co? huh? I thought they were in the Paid Search biz, to the tune of 77% of worldwide use.

And they ve been behaving like a monopolist who is terrified of losing share and trying anyway they can to torpedo the Msft/Yhoo deal. They have even been warned to shut up about it and not to make phone calls to undermine a competitor or they could end up just like Msft with years of anti trust busters yapping at their heels eager to take a peice of their pie.

imo, they should grow up already. The EU has yet to approve the DoubleClick deal and if they keep this up, its a real question whether they will.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement