Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: kanaredorah Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122144  
Subject: dog sneezes Date: 3/6/2000 8:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
My dogs sneeze at me, purposefully sometimes. I almost think it is an attempt to communicate, but I haven't broken the code. Does anyone know if this is a language thing?? what are they trying to say?? (have I lost it?)

k
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPsyche Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3866 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/6/2000 9:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A friend of mine has a dog that seems to do the same thing. She's a Lhasa. It's really quite funny when she does. It always appeared to be sort of an attention thing... She'd do it when she wanted to play - stand or sit in front of us, looking at us, and then she'd sneeze...

Frankly I find it much cuter than when my cats sit and look at me and yawn... ;-)

Amy
TMF Psyche

Author: icebrrrg Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3876 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/6/2000 3:22 PM
Frankly I find it much cuter than when my cats sit and look at me and yawn...

This is definitely a form of communication. Usually happens to me when I'm watching a movie or spending too much time on the PC. It means: "You bore me. You're not loving me. Don't make me go play somewhere else!"

It usually works. Plus those yawns are soooo cute!

Matt

Author: cmonkey Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3878 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/6/2000 3:57 PM
Masher sneezes when she's really excited. She always points her head toward the ceiling, and then I make a sneezy noise with her. <geek>

Author: greet Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3882 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/6/2000 6:16 PM
Besides the usual reasons, it seems to be a happy, excited, anticipatory expression. Sometimes I think they do it for a joke. Russ would do it on request (there were very few commands in his vocabulary), just for the laughs. Took some effort to wind up, though.

Author: greet Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3883 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/6/2000 6:30 PM
Recommendations: 1
Ooh! Forgot about McGee's Best Trick!
I do a big fake sneeze, and she runs to get me a tissue. She's not so good on the handoff, though, she'd really rather eat the Kleenex™ than give it to me.
Or I hold out the box and ask if she'd care for a tissue; she loves to grab them and chew 'em up. :o)

Author: TMFJedi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3884 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/6/2000 6:46 PM
Frankly I find it much cuter than when my cats sit and look at me and yawn... ;-)

I'm still fond of the BorgKitties' tendency to get right in my face and purrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ya just can't refuse a purring kitten. Well, I can't anyway. :-)

Kaiti

Author: ciarra Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3892 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 12:08 PM
we've taught our dog Zeus (32 lb boston terrier/dalmation/bull dog mutt) to sneeze on command, which he actually seems to enjoy doing. he does, however, get the "speak!" command confused with "sneeze!" which is much to our amusement...
"SPEAK, Zeus, SPEAK!" and he let loose with a jowl-flapping double sneezeroo.

Author: klotsakk Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3894 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 12:18 PM
Try asking the sport questions that all have the same answer, maybe you might see some trends. All animals communicate in some way or form Just because it isn't lingual, doesn't mean it can't talk.

Cheers,
klotsakk

Author: oakshade Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3898 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 12:36 PM
I have a Yorkshire Terrier. Our dog smiles at us when we come home, showing his teeth. This makes him sneeze because I believe he has such a short nose. Does your dog smile and show his teeth? We always laugh because he looks so funny-but he really can't help sneezing when he smiles.

Author: 1casey Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3900 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 1:16 PM
Recommendations: 4
The only time my dog sneezes is when she's in her favorite position: on her back getting her tummy rubbed. Then she'll wind up and let loose a big one, usually in my face. I'm getting pretty good at knowing when it's coming, though, so I can get out of the line of fire.

Author: vuelta Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3904 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 2:24 PM
Anyone see a trend here? Point a dog's snout towards the sky, then wait for the sneeze. It's not communication, it's just fluids and gravity.

vuelta

Author: muzio Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3907 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 3:07 PM
Recommendations: 2
Keesha, our Belgian Sheepdog shakes on request. It always make me laugh. We didn't teach her, her former owner did. It is an accomplishment that comes in handy when it rains. At least it gets some of the water off of her before she gets in the car, mud and all!
Shirley

Author: Kristam Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3909 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 4:07 PM
If you rent the movie, Son of Sam, you will note that this seriously disturbed, psychotic serial-killer also felt that his dog was purposely trying to communicate with him. Any corellation here?

If it's any consolation, when I get sad, so does my dog. When I am happy, so is my dog. When I have PMS, I swear my dog does too! When I broke up with my boyfriend, my dog developed a sudden and intense dislike for him! Go figure!

Thank god for our pets!

KMW

Author: TMFJedi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3914 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 4:50 PM
If you rent the movie, Son of Sam, you will note that this seriously disturbed, psychotic serial-killer also felt that his dog was purposely trying to communicate with him. Any corellation here?

Way OT, but a retired FBI agent named John Douglas has written a few books, and in one (can't remember which) he mentions interviewing the real Son of Sam, who started giving him the nonsense about the dog. John wouldn't bite, and S.o.S. admitted it was a bunch of doggie poop.

Kaiti

Author: DawnRn64 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3915 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 5:12 PM
My dogs sneeze at me, purposefully sometimes. I almost think it is an attempt to communicate, but I haven't broken the code. Does anyone know if this is a language thing?? what are they trying to say?? (have I lost it?)

NO, you're not losing it. My 13 1/2 year old Golden Retriever just began doing this a couple of years ago. He sneezes and snorts whenever we talk to him or ask him if "he's a good boy." He's also started giving us these long deliberate (it seems) blinks whenever we talk to him. It's totally funny and we're sure he's trying to communicate with us!
D.

Author: gangrelfool Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3916 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 5:18 PM
My dog Nala sneezes at me when we're playing. We even have "sneeze wars". I'll fake a sneeze, she'll sneeze back, we'll wrestle on the floor and then do it all over again. Definitely seems pleasure/excitement related to me.

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3919 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 5:56 PM

I don't know about sneezes but my sister's dog Cinnamon (who went to doggie heaven last year) used to yawn at you if you spoke to her harshly or disciplined her. She would look right up at you and give you a really huge yawn. Couldn't help but smile at that. (Of course, if the dog had been really bad (which seldom happened), I was the only one smiling - my sister wasn't!)

Christina

Author: puffool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3920 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 7:22 PM
glad to hear there are many sneezing canines out there. I have a 5 yr. old long hair chiuaha..chi chi, he started sneezing at me about a year ago when he wants my attention to let him go outside, I think he learned it from a friends dog..He is definetely communicating with me. ;)

Author: cj49 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3921 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 8:04 PM
Your puppy loves you. We have a Wirehair fox terrier that does the same thing. In some book we found that this is a real sign of your dog being your buddy. Look at the rest of the dogs body language

Author: reinaldok Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3922 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 9:48 PM
Hi Ciarra: I'd sure like to see Zeus. Can't imagine what he could possibly look like. Terrier-
dalmatian-pit bull-mutt - WOW. One thing I'm certain of, is that he is a fine intelligent animal.

Ron

Author: reinaldok Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3925 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 10:12 PM
Hi Oakshade:
If you've followed these boards for a while, you will have observed that our Yorkie is a prominent part of our family. I really am not even sure if he is a dog. I have given some thought to opening a terrier board in Speaker's Corner.

Good Luck.

Author: lefty2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3930 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/7/2000 11:17 PM
To christina:
Your dog yawned when you spoke harshly to him because he was worried. Dogs yawn when they are worried.

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3931 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/8/2000 8:31 AM
lefty2:

Thanks for this information.

Now, I don't have this problem with my cats - they don't seem to worry about anything other than when I will feed them next and why I don't want them to walk on the keyboard!

Christina

Author: Pepper90 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3963 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/9/2000 8:45 AM
My dog does the same thing! Multiple rapid- fire- sneezes, in my face first thing in the morning. I always just thought she was allergic to me!

Author: MadonnaTreadway Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3970 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 3/9/2000 2:52 PM
My dog Abby does the same thing. She is usually trying to tell me that she is expecting a little taste of whatever I am eating at the time. She has been taught that barking in this situation is unacceptable, so a sneeze is more polite way of making her request known.

Author: CassBielski One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4359 of 122144
Subject: Re: dog sneezes Date: 4/5/2000 5:10 PM
Sorry for this late reply, but I am way behind on my reading. Some of this may have already been hashed to death, but I think I may know some of what is going on with the dog. I think that perhaps the dog is attempting to communicate with you by preparing to make a noise, but the act of attempting to make this noise tickles his or her nose and causes him or her to sneeze. The sneeze then becomes the noise the dog uses to communicate. Is this too far out?--Cass

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement