UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20733  
Subject: Re: 8+ weeks vacation on a budget: Ideas? Date: 12/13/2012 12:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
D'oh - is what Homer Simpson says when he finally understands something that is should have been obvious, often an injury is involved in his realization of the situation.

I just had a D'oh moment on this.

I was thinking of what the total cost would be to be on the road for up to eight weeks, but I was forgetting something that should have been obvious.

That is that all the time I am on the road I will be getting vacation pay automatically deposited into my checking account every two weeks while I am on the road!

Since I have pretty moderate fixed costs at home this means that most of this vacation money is available to cover my travel expenses. Pretty much other than the big ticket items like airfare and occasional splurges I won't need to dip much into my savings for a long trip if I am careful.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here is where I am at so far;

I had not thought of Argentina but I will look into that. At first glance Buenos Aires looks interesting and a lot safer than many places in South America.

Croatia sounds interesting too but we went to Italy last spring and I will need to look into how different Croatia is.

A agree that Greece can be a great budget travel destination. We were there about five years ago during the shoulder season in mid to late September. Out on some of the less popular Greek Islands we were able to find nice midrange hotels for around $60 a night and the weather was still wonderful.

China and other oriental countries are a possaability too. We probably don't want to spend a lot of time in large cities so this will take a lot of research.

With realization that by budget is not as tight as I thought it was it looks like Australia and New Zealand are pretty doable and they are a likely choice. Maybe five or six weeks there and a road trip in the US for the remainder of the time during a different time of year.

I found out that a guy that I work with will have to take twelve weeks vacation in 2013 because he had a lot of vacation already accrued. Pretty much everyone will be taking at least double their normal vacation. It will be interesting to see how this works out since the department I am in has gone through some downsizing and was pretty lean already and now the managers are trying to figure out make things work with so much vacation time being taken in one year.

I think Dilbert would fit in here.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement