Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm a licensed structural engineer (P.E.) and work full time. A few people approached me asking me to do small engineering jobs on the side. I accepted the first few, which were minor, well within my area of expertise, and did not carry much risk. Lately, the offers were for bigger projects, taking about 20 to 40 hours of engineering and CAD time. I plan on purchasing liability insurance going forward if I accept them, and plan on taking on more work to supplement my income. All the work will be done in Pennsylvania. Does anyone here know of any special requirements I need to be aware of? Like do I need to form a corporation (I understand it will protect my personal assets should I get sued), or get a license from the state (other then P.E.)? Has anyone on this board started their own business?

Thanks in advance.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.