No. of Recommendations: 0
Dear Fools,
First, I am new here and apologize if I am asking questions that have already been asked and answered recently. I have many financial questions of late and will ask just a few now.
I know the Motley Fools say that if one is set on investing in a mutual fund, to use the Vangaurd 500 Index Fund, but as that has hardly any capital gains paid each year, it seems to me like that would be a fund better to own outside an IRA. A Dow 10 or Dow 5 fund would be better in an IRA, it seems to me, but the only Dow 10 and Dow 5 funds I have found have loads and high management fees, which seems crazy to me as there is hardly any management with these approaches. Does anyone know of a Dow 5 or Dow 10 fund that is no load with a low management fee, and better still, one which allows for monthly contributions of $166 so we can dollar cost average rather than have to plunk $2K into the account all at once?
Moving onto the new choices in IRAs, if one can open a tax deductible IRA in 1998 and is confident that their income for 1999 will be under $100K, is there any law stopping this person from taking a tax deduction for the IRA for tax year 1998 and then converting it to a Roth IRA in 1999 (paying the taxes on the gains during the period between opening the traditional IRA and converting it to a Roth IRA, of course)?
Finally, I read in a Roth IRA application that the account can only be rolled over once every 365 days. I take it this means if you have three separate Roth IRAs, you can roll each over into different accounts once every 365 days, so you could really be making 3 changes a year. Can anyone tell me if I am guessing right on this?
Thanks for any help anyone can give me!
Cordially,
Respectable
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement