Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: micah3 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121150  
Subject: Donating Appreciated Stock Date: 9/3/2000 6:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
First ever post to the board. I read the article "Charitable Contributions of Stock -- 07-14-00," and it appeared to conflict with the advice we received from our accountant. He said that it didn't matter whether you had held on to the donated stock for one year, and that at the time of your donation your gift would be measured by the fair market value of the stock. The article states that you only get the full value of the appreciated stock if you have held on for one year. Any input or links would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39515 of 121150
Subject: Re: Donating Appreciated Stock Date: 9/3/2000 7:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
First ever post to the board. I read the article "Charitable Contributions of Stock -- 07-14-00," and it appeared to conflict with the advice we received from our accountant. He said that it didn't matter whether you had held on to the donated stock for one year, and that at the time of your donation your gift would be measured by the fair market value of the stock. The article states that you only get the full value of the appreciated stock if you have held on for one year.

The article is correct; your accountant is wrong. Refer him to section 170(e)(1)(A) of the Internal Revenue Code.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: micah3 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39540 of 121150
Subject: Re: Donating Appreciated Stock Date: 9/4/2000 11:04 PM
Thanks for the response. I'll take a look at the Code section.

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39575 of 121150
Subject: Re: Donating Appreciated Stock Date: 9/5/2000 7:13 PM
Recommendations: 1
<<First ever post to the board. I read the article "Charitable Contributions of Stock -- 07-14-00," and it appeared to conflict with the advice we received from our accountant. He said that it didn't matter whether you had held on to the donated stock for one year, and that at the time of your donation your gift would be measured by the fair market value of the stock. The article states that you only get the full value of the appreciated stock if you have held on for one year.>>

As Phil points out, the article is right on the mark. The stock has to be QUALIFIED appreciated stock. In order for the stock to be qualified, it has to be held for more than one year.

So while you're taking a look at the code section, you might also want to take a look at your accountant. :-)

TMF Taxes
Roy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement