Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
There are couple of charities to whom I donate 1% of my income every year. Now that I have some appreciated stocks in my taxable portfolio, I could donate appreciated stock instead of cash.

My question is about the mechanics. Do I ask my broker -- Fidelity -- to provide me with a certificate for x shares, which I can then mail to the charity. I assume there will be a fee for that.

Or do the big brokers all have a standard way to transfer shares from one person to another account, with all the big charities having an arrangement with every major broker?

If anyone has experience doing this, I would appreciate your views on the easiest and cheapest way to make the donation.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.