Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am composer, and I rent out the score and instrumental parts for my operas from time to time. I have some special way of reporting the rental income of intellectual property on my Schedule C. I'm not sure exactly how and where, because Turbotax always takes care of it.

This year (2006) I donated the rental of two of my operas to a local small opera company. I usually get a thousand dollars per rental, so I'd like to write it off. Can I just write off my usual retail rental price like that of the in-kind contribution, which would give me a two thousand dollar charitable contribution? Or is there something different I have to do? And by the way this is a legitimate 501c3 non-profit, I have a letter of thanks from them that mentions the value of the rentals, and I can substantiate the fees.

Many thanks for any advice.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.