UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: gdett2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75784  
Subject: Re: Short-term TIPS Date: 4/12/2013 3:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
donmanning,

I keep mine in passbook savings where I can do a transfer on the web or over the phone quite easily. I am not concerned with it not earning money. I would be concerned having it in a bond fund since NAV goes up and down and you may lose liquidity for trade settlement.

You can create a ladder(CD/bond) or use a cash and near-cash method. I use the latter. I keep 6 to 12+ months in passbook. I have an old IRA insurance annuity that pays very decent interest with 5+ years in it. It would take 3 days to get cash transferred from this account. I have not used it since retiring 8 years ago. I have refiled cash from trimming stock and dividends.

If I didn't have the old IRA, I would look at a couple TIPS, short-term and/or intermediate-term bond funds/ETFs to put the longer term money into. If you have it spread across a couple funds with different investing horizons, you can pick and choose which one to grab money from if needed. You'll have a better chance of not selling something low.

There could be price pressure on longer term bond funds. The shorter term funds will change-out quicker and hopefully not get hit as bad.

Gene
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement