Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23747  
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/8/2013 4:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Don't even get me started on the women(yes women) who want to haggle the price with me.

I assumed it was about women/some specific woman, because you mentioned color as a deciding factor. Given a choice, I'll have a color preference; but first, the shoe has to fit right for running/walking/loafing around.

My personal preference would always be to buy locally where I can be fitted, and I don't mind paying more to know it's right when I walk out. However . . .

The local running store doesn't keep my size in stock. One time only, I ordered a specific color; got a call back that they couldn't get that color. That call came at a terrible time for me to think rationally about what I wanted to do. So I canceled the order, came in later, and ordered a different shoe. Didn't specify color, and lived with what showed up.

But here's the deal: Once I know what shoe will fit and work right for running, if I'm going to have to wait for it to be ordered anyway I may as well order it online instead of driving to the local running shop. I know, this is a vicious circle. The more people do this, the less the store can keep in stock, and the more incentive there is to do this.

Still, if I'm going to get a new model of shoe, I'm inclined to order it through the local store to get the fit and the easy return if it isn't right. But I don't even look in the local stores for my walking shoes (Nike Air Monarchs, have to be black to pass as business casual.) And when I went online to order that specific color and model of shoe that the LRS couldn't get, I got it. In my size. In a surprisingly short time.

It's a puzzle. I'd like the LRS to stay in business, and I certainly buy accessories there; but it's hard for them to compete on *service* for shoes they don't keep in stock in my size. If the shoes were in stock, I wouldn't have a problem paying the LRS $110 for a pair I could get online for $90; but if the shoes aren't in stock, it's hard to justify a premium price for a less convenient ordering and delivery process.

Patzer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement