Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Don't forget that the deposits made into nondeductible IRA accounts can be converted in 2010 to ROTH accounts, regardless of income restriction, with the tax liability on those funds taken out over 2010 and 2011.

Humm, not bad, huh?


Not to hijack this thread, but above statement leads me to this question.

I made nondeductible IRA contributions 10-20 years ago totaling $20,000.
I have been taking MRD's for last 4-5 years and still have about $14,000 remaining as "Adjusted total basis in Traditional IRA". I would love to get rid of the yearly calculation and keeping track of Form 8606 basis.
Is is correct that In 2010 I can move the remaining basis and place in a ROTH? If so, why would there a tax liability as stated above, since these were after tax dollars that were placed in the IRA?

I would be happy if I could even withdraw the remaining basis and not put it in a ROTH just to avoid further tracking.
Senior Citizen
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.