Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Shelt Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11198  
Subject: Don't let me ever say the wrong thing Date: 4/1/2000 1:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
I say this, because of how you all came down on investorbabe2025. She posts two messages and everyone is snapping at her and everything. Let's look at the first message.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1370004001146000&sort=postdate

I not sure that us ladies understand investing or
money very well? What do you think?Most of my women
acquaintance, I find , just like to spend money a lot.

All she is doing here, is asking a question and quoting from her personal experience. I've heard and read women say similar things in the earlier periods of this board, but the difference then was that they didn't get negative feedback from it and the women(or men for that matter) here then, were less educated about investing. Now that we are more mature in our investing and knowledge, comments like that are taken offensely.

A few things just stood out to me. For instance, Barbara(the TMFer) talks about not using generalizing comments. I agree, I hate generalizations, and I find it odd that the subject of it comes up after all the male jokes and things. It seems to be fine for the comments, generalizations, jokes, or even insults of men, but when a women says something that can be taken wrongly about women, all the women stand up and complain.

Another thing was Angela's reply. I saw investorbabe2025's message as maybe a plea for help or information. Maybe a reassurance that was wasn't alone in her lack of understanding or effort to understand. Remember back when you came here, if your comments or questions were replied to the way hers were, then you likely wouldn't have become the investor you are now, or you would have went elsewhere. I've seen it happen too much where someone new comes who isn't part of the family and they get scared away because the family takes their comments wrongly.

In her second message, she(investorbabe2025 ) talks about the lack of investing discussion. She has a point, anyone coming to this board for the first time would have to wonder. Besides the MIL talk, I would have to go back to 2/26 over a month ago, to see any talk of investing. It does look like a gossip board as of late, again besides the MIL thread. I am all for people reading the board before hand and she obviously did that, since she knew of the talk about irons and men, but going back to post #1 is a stretch to me. It is unlikely anyone will or has the time to read 7000+ posts before starting to partipate in the discussions.

I just think that we should greet the newcomes more nicely, because at one time we were newcomers as well.

Shelton
-knowing this may have screwed up April 4th, but everyone should be treated kindly
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement