UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 64755  
Subject: Don't "fix" Java, kill it, Date: 1/13/2013 7:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Forget Oracle's Latest Java Patch. Just Kill The Program In Your Browser For Good

After months of inaction and even a warning from the Department of Homeland Security, Oracle has finally released a fix for yet another security vulnerability in its ubiquitous and notoriously buggy Java software. But there’s already been a fix available that’s remain simpler and far more effective: Kick your Java habit altogether.

[snip]

Russian security firm Kaspersky reported in its third quarter analysis of security threats that Java was exploited in fully 56% of all known attacks that took advantage of vulnerabilities in software. And last summer, a Java vulnerability was used by the Flashback malware to create the first known large-scale botnet of Macs, which numbered more than 600,000 at its peak.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/01/13/forget-...

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62012 of 64755
Subject: Re: Don't "fix" Java, kill it, Date: 1/14/2013 11:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
In the mathematics community, all the way from high school teachers to research mathematicians, Java is both ubiquitous and much-loved. "Just say No" is easy to say, but given our dependence on Java for everyday applications it would be nearly catastrophic to implement in any sudden way. We can do it, but it will take many years.

Our core requirement is a mature development platform that runs on any operating system, has fast and accurate numerics, and displays excellent 3D animated graphics.

I am looking into HTML5 as a replacement. This relies heavily on Javascript, which is now much better than it was five years ago. It is slowly approaching the necessary standards, but it ain't there yet. I would hate to have to certify any HTML5 program as numerically accurate, but maybe that will come too, in the fullness of time.

Meanwhile, Python and Ruby may get there before HTML5. It will be an interesting race to observe. For the present, there seems to be no satisfactory replacement for Java.

Loren

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62045 of 64755
Subject: Re: Don't "fix" Java, kill it, Date: 1/16/2013 11:20 AM
Recommendations: 0
given our dependence on Java for everyday applications…

You don't need the browser plugin if you're just running Java apps on the desktop.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement