Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ToesOnTheNose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22065  
Subject: Re: This is my first post here... Date: 10/27/2003 4:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Don't use "I'm going pro" as an excuse to buy toys you've always liked; look first at the type of work you are doing, and then buy the tools best suited for the job. It may very well be digital; but it may be film. It's a tough field; don't handicap yourself by overspending on equipment that won't do the job.
++++

Good point.

Well, I am going to start out doing weddings. That will probably be my primary source of income. My clients will be coming in from out of town - I am moving to a "resort town". So, my plan is to shoot the wedding, mostly photojournalistic style, but I don't want to get caught up in "I only do it this way". So, I will be very flexible. In fact, at first, I'll do anything.

The only reason I need to build up fast is because my current equipment is not professional quality. So, I need one body, and then a back up. And then, my current equipment will be a 3rd and 4th back up, if it ever comes to that.

Since my clients will up and leave town after the wedding, I will offer the photos be ordered on-line. Which is why I am thinking digital is the way to go. I can more easily load them into my computer, do some "touch-up" then publish them to a website where they can view and order pic's for their album, and for the rest of the family.

I know that I can scan everything. But, that seems like a lot of work. If I take an average of 300 pic's at a wedding. That's 300 scans times however many weddings; hopefully, at least, 2 per week.

Also, I like the immediate feedback you get from digital.

I can also do film, I've been doing it for a long time. I just like the appeal of digital.

I am not really interested in stock. I do want to have a portrait studio eventually.

I am starting right now, in LA, doing headshots on location for soon-to-be stars, real estate agents, musicians, etc. This is really good money, especially on a digital format because I can very quickly touch up my results, print out a wonderful print on my Epson 2200, and get it back to them sameday, in some cases.

I am also interested in doing shows; like arts and crafts shows.

I have a small interest in calendars, cards, etc.

Actually, scratch everything I said. I'll do anything in the beginning.

In fact, my wife is asking me to be very flexible. She said if the market drives you toward web design, that's what you should do.

So we'll see which way the wind blows.

I have a lot going through my mind. Quitting my job and taking on something like this is very nerve racking. But, it's about time I live my life the way I see fit, not the way others think I should.

Do you have any suggestions after hearing all this?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Online Photos
Yahoo! Groups
(Registration Required)
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement