Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (57) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: AlaGeoff Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 974  
Subject: Re: I'm acting Date: 6/20/2000 9:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
Don't wait for a professional to tell you he needs ritalin - tell your doctor you want to try a 10mg dose to see if it helps. If your doctor won't help then find another who will. The 20 minute attention span will cause everyone to feel uncomfortable - he will be disliked by his peers and teachers. If it works then keep it up - if not, try something else. My child was suicidal in 2nd grade because she drove everyone crazy and kids are so cruel to those that are different. Her teacher was very thankful too (so were the people in church).

Horsepucky. The 20 minute attention span is because the child is bored and has no self discipline. My oldest daughter exhibits many classic ADD symptoms on certain situations. She also can focus for long periods of time (60+ minutes) on a task she is interested in. This too is part of having a child with above-average intelligence. No way will I allow soume quack to drug my child because some teacher is too lazy to provide competent classroom management.

As your imposed discipline takes hold, the child will test the rules less and less. They still will push things once in a while, mostly to reassure themselves the boundaries are still there. Remember to focus on the child's actions, not their feelings or yours. That way, you are keeping the focus on things the child can control.

Drug your child if you really want to, just don't kid yourself that it is for their benefit.

Geoff
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (57) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement