Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sharppy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: double your money every 5 years Date: 3/20/2001 11:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
As far as I am concerned the safest wall st investment is DNP on the NY. Up 37% for the year compounded with monthly dividends. My DNP has now doubled,and will double again in next 5 years whether market up or down. It's the reinvesting the monthly dividends into more shares each month that compounds itself. This is with money you can't afford to lose,no matter what. Great for monthly income or saving for that down payment on a house or saving for your kids education. I have 2 portfolios. One that I take more risk with and the other with money I can't afford to lose. DNP long term will return to you all the money you lost in your other investments. Best advice I can give you.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ingers One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6398 of 19257
Subject: Re: double your money every 5 years Date: 3/20/2001 11:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Pardon my ignorance, what is DNP of NY?

Author: sharppy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6399 of 19257
Subject: Re: double your money every 5 years Date: 3/20/2001 11:39 AM
Duff&Phellps Utility income on the NY exchange. Symbol is DNP

Author: OldToad One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6400 of 19257
Subject: Re: double your money every 5 years Date: 3/20/2001 1:22 PM
Recommendations: 6
sharppy:

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, rather than looking at this post as a blatant ad for the company, I'd say that you're incorrect. By the chart for DNP, if you had been investing in DNP during 1999, you'd probably have lost that much money. The only redeeming feature of DNP appears to be the monthly dividend, which, if you are a person living off your dividends, is a great advantage. Otherwise, as an investment, it pretty much smells. (bluntly) :-)

Have a great day!

OldToad

Author: sharppy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6402 of 19257
Subject: Re: double your money every 5 years Date: 3/20/2001 6:57 PM
Old Toad
You have a lot to learn. DNP is a interest sensitive stock. Trading range last 15 years,8 to 12. Now if you will look at the 1999 chart as interest rates were going up,DNP began declining down,and thats when you should of gone short and a few months later covered your short when greenspan announced the 1/2 interest rate cut knowing that DNP will now turn around and start going back up,which it has been doing. You would of filled up the wheelboro in the 8 1/2 range to add more to your position for the ride up. Thats how I get a average return of over 25% a year. for year 2000 up over 37%. As for now,I'm long and will remain so as long as the interest rates don't go back up and sooner otr later the cycle will repeat itself and when that day comes I'll go short again and make another killing. Now you know my secret.

Author: OldToad One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6406 of 19257
Subject: Re: double your money every 5 years Date: 3/21/2001 9:57 AM
Recommendations: 4
sharppy:

Thank you for making my point. As I said, DNP is not a good investment for the long term. Shorting a stock is not investing in it, it is gambling, for most investors, especially LTBH. Especially in a troubled market like that which we will be seeing for the next number of months.

Even you don't stay "invested in" DNP all the time, which you seemed to say in your first post. To give advice to the less savvy, you can't tell only half the story. That is how most "advisors" get the uninitiated to buy less than fiscally sound investments, like insurance.

They then reply - "Oh, didn't I tell you that?"

Have a great day!

OldToad

PS. Now, if you had approached this by saying you used something like AIM (Lichello) as your investment plan, it might have made more sense. You intimated LTBH as the method of investment in the first post.

Author: sharppy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6415 of 19257
Subject: Re: double your money every 5 years Date: 3/22/2001 2:14 PM
When I said I go short when interest rates are on the rise, I don't sell my DNP that I have long. I leave it alone. What I said was I short DNP on the way down and later on when I cover, I use the additional profit I made and load up on DNP at the lower price. Also remember,that I am still getting additional shares on my original investment on the way down,in fact receiving more shares at it's lower price each month. You can't seem to get it. You are the type that just buys long and rides it up and down. You know damn well all stocks go up and down, learn to make money both ways. You can thank me later.

Author: GrayWulff Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6420 of 19257
Subject: Re: double your money every 5 years Date: 3/23/2001 10:24 AM
Recommendations: 3
sharpy = an active trader with a total of 4 posts

sharpy = an anonymous wise-guy who makes his points by belittling others

sharpy = a well chosen handle

Author: GrayWulff Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6421 of 19257
Subject: Re: double your money every 5 years Date: 3/23/2001 10:28 AM
d*mn,

After typing the previous reply, I decided not to post it but hit the Submit button instead of the Cancel button. The trouble with answering this kind of nonsense is that it just encourages them.

My apologies to all (even sharpie.)

Cheers!
GW

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement