Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: AllTooFoolish Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5989  
Subject: Dow30 BI Performance Tracker thru Jan 2014 Date: 1/31/2014 9:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Again in 2014 I will update the new portfolio on a monthly basis. January was a tough month for stocks. Although BI is down just like the market, it was down less than the S&P500.
As a result, BI is starting off the year with a slight lead.

Performance Summary:
Benchmark return year to date = -1.4%
SPY Total return year to date –3.2%
Difference vs. SPY = +1.8 pct pts

DOW BI Selection Process:
As was the case for 2013, no individual companies in the Dow meet all the BI selection criteria in order to be chosen as a Long pick for 2014. Across the entire DOW 30
stocks, only Pfizer and Cisco are trading below their downside price targets. However, even these stocks do not meet all other BI selection criterion. In fact, neither choice has positive
earnings prospects. Staying true to the BI method, all three of the 2013 will be held because each of them still has greater upside than the overall market’s potential.
Therefore, the 2014 BI portfolio will continue to hold the same stocks as it did in 2013, which are Cisco, DuPont, and Microsoft.

AllTooFoolish's CAPS Portfolio:
If you are interested in seeing this method applied to a broader universe of stocks, follow my actively managed portfolio in the Fool CAPS section. Here I put my money
where my mouth is. I have been using this methodology for many years with great success. In the Fool CAPS and associated Blog I post my portfolio holdings, thoughts,
and actual trades http://caps.fool.com/Blogs/ViewBlog.aspx?t=01004738267652001....
Below are all associated activity for the 2014 BI portfolio.

DOW Benchmark Portfolio transactions:
1/2/14 CSCO bought 150 shares $22.17
1/2/14 DD bought 52 shares $64.24
1/2/14 MSFT bought 89 shares $37.35
1/2/14 CSCO dividend $0.17/shr

S&P500 transactions:
S&P500 ETF benchmark (SPY ETF) bought 54 shares on 1/2/14 $183.98
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement