Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 439289  
Subject: Dowd on Obama debate debacle Date: 10/10/2012 9:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Obama performs better when his back is against the wall; he has some subconscious need to put himself in challenging positions. That makes it hard for him to surf success and intensity; he just suddenly runs out of gas and stops fighting, leaving revved up supporters confused and deflated. “That’s just his rhythm,” said one adviser.

He often fails to pin his opponents on the mat the first time he gets the chance; instead, perversely, he pulls back and allows foes to gain oxygen. It happened with Republicans in the health care and debt-ceiling debates and when he let the Tea Party spread narrative about “death panels.” Now he has let Romney spread a phony narrative about moderation and tax math.

Obama arrived at the podium with disdain for debates, which he regards as shams, as Carter White House adviser Gerry Rafshoon puts it, where “people prefer a good liar to a bad performer.” Plus, he’s filled with disdain for Romney, seeing him as the ultimate slick boardroom guy born on third base trying to peddle money-making deals. Surely everyone sees through this con man?

It is that distaste for salesmanship that caused Obama to refuse to muster his will and energy, and urgently sell his vision. But by doing so he undermines arguments for four more years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/10/opinion/dowd-barry-trails-...

Reminds me of Carl Rove's psychoanalysis of Obama during the 2008 campaign:

At a breakfast with Republican insiders at the Capitol Hill Club this morning, former White House senior aide Karl Rove referred to Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, as "coolly arrogant."

"Even if you never met him, you know this guy," Rove said. "He’s the guy at the country club with the beautiful date, holding a martini and a cigarette that stands against the wall and makes snide comments about everyone who passes by."

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2008/06/rove-obamas-the...

I hope Obama wakes up and gets some fire in his belly.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410653 of 439289
Subject: Re: Dowd on Obama debate debacle Date: 10/10/2012 10:10 AM
Recommendations: 4
NTJ: Reminds me of Carl Rove's psychoanalysis of Obama during the 2008 campaign:

At a breakfast with Republican insiders at the Capitol Hill Club this morning, former White House senior aide Karl Rove referred to Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, as "coolly arrogant."

"Even if you never met him, you know this guy," Rove said. "He’s the guy at the country club with the beautiful date, holding a martini and a cigarette that stands against the wall and makes snide comments about everyone who passes by."

Wow. What a case of projection Karl has, making snide comments like that about Obama. Karl needs an industrial crane to extract that beam from his eye.

rj

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410658 of 439289
Subject: Re: Dowd on Obama debate debacle Date: 10/10/2012 10:30 AM
Recommendations: 3
It is that distaste for salesmanship that caused Obama to refuse to muster his will and energy, and urgently sell his vision.

It's that distaste that makes him a weak politician, frankly. Politics is salesmanship.

--FY

Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410687 of 439289
Subject: Re: Dowd on Obama debate debacle Date: 10/10/2012 2:14 PM
Recommendations: 1
It's that distaste that makes him a weak politician, frankly. Politics is salesmanship.

That's part of it, but it should go beyond that to include things oh, like vision, leadership, courage, intelligence et cetera. Obama has all that.

If all it takes is salesmanship (a.k.a. Bulls*t Inc.) then Romney will be a great Prez.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410708 of 439289
Subject: Re: Dowd on Obama debate debacle Date: 10/10/2012 3:23 PM
Recommendations: 2
He needs to find his charisma, or he's really in trouble. It doesn't seem like the candidate with less of it wins. Intelligence without charisma can come off as arrogant - which didn't help Gore during the Bush/Gore debate as analyst thought Gore came off as "mean".

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410713 of 439289
Subject: Re: Dowd on Obama debate debacle Date: 10/10/2012 3:41 PM
Recommendations: 0
MC: He needs to find his charisma, or he's really in trouble. It doesn't seem like the candidate with less of it wins. Intelligence without charisma can come off as arrogant - which didn't help Gore during the Bush/Gore debate as analyst thought Gore came off as "mean".

Again, mostly true. Many women vote with their ovaries.

Count Upp
... but none here of course. Well, maybe one.

Author: Wessex99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410734 of 439289
Subject: Re: Dowd on Obama debate debacle Date: 10/10/2012 6:59 PM
Again, mostly true. Many women vote with their ovaries.</i?\>

How offensive! I hope you were being funny and didn't really mean it. Is that the same sort of thing as where men's brains are?

Wessex

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410741 of 439289
Subject: Re: Dowd on Obama debate debacle Date: 10/10/2012 7:57 PM
How offensive! I hope you were being funny and didn't really mean it. Is that the same sort of thing as where men's brains are?

Wessex

No question about it. Many men vote with their gonads.

Count Upp

Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410751 of 439289
Subject: Re: Dowd on Obama debate debacle Date: 10/11/2012 3:46 AM
Recommendations: 1
Intelligence without charisma can come off as arrogant - which didn't help Gore during the Bush/Gore debate

The best at doing intelligence without arrogance was Bill Clinton. Love his quote about bringing the corn to the hawgs.

Unfortunately his style is so different from Obama's that I don't think Obama could emulate Clinton's gift.

Obama is just not a natural at debating. I think he just needs to memorize some sound bite zingers and unleash them at the right time. It wouldn't be difficult - Romney presents a steady stream of outrageously soft targets. Even if Obama misses or skips over one, he can be sure he'll have another within 30 seconds.

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410777 of 439289
Subject: Re: Dowd on Obama debate debacle Date: 10/11/2012 11:06 AM
Recommendations: 2
I needed something to cheer me up today, and Charlie Pierce seems to have come through:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/vp-debate-2012-1360940...

He turns a few great phrases in this essay... And he makes me want to watch the debate this evening.

One of the oddest reactions to the president's feather-in-the-gales-of-pure-b*llsh-t performance last week is the notion among a number of very smart liberal humans that he doesn't want to be president anymore and, way out on the fringe, the corollary that his debate demeanor was the rhetorical equivalent of Eddie Cicotte of the Chicago White Sox hitting the first Cincinnati batter he faced in the 1919 World Series. I'm not good enough at trans-area-code psychology to agree with this conclusion, although I do admit that the president should be a little more juiced than this about the prospect of deflating Willard Romney just for the sheer fun of it, since Romney is so obviously a bag of hot air that they should string him up and float him through Manhattan this Thanksgiving.

rj

Author: Wessex99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410828 of 439289
Subject: Re: Dowd on Obama debate debacle Date: 10/11/2012 8:43 PM
LOL

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement