No. of Recommendations: 0
Dreamseason asks:

Based on my reading of the IRS materials... after I get the recharacterization do I have to report it on my 2000 tax return? Does this mean I have to submit an amended 2000 return (1040X) to explain the recharacterization along with the IRA form (8606)?

Nope. a Form 8606 is not required -- yet -- for Roth IRA contributions. The recharacterization establishes that's what you made. Some day the IRS may require that form, but it does not as of today.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.