Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I am thinking of starting a Dividend Reinvestment Plan (DRIP) for my teenager with some of his money. I believe I would have to first get into the DRIP myself, then transfer to him (I doubt he can open his own). When a sale occurs, how do the taxes work? Do I account for any capital gain/loss on my taxes through the time I transferred to him, then the rest is on his tax return? (right now he doesn't have income and so does not fill out a tax return)

Thanks for any guidance,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.