Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Katherinesewell Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 219  
Subject: DRIP, DRIP, DRIP Date: 7/20/2000 12:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
It has occurred to me that daily meditation is very much like DRiP investing. Let's see how far I can push the simile:

First, you have to have the funds to invest (the time to spend meditating). To locate these funds, we often need to take a really close, hard look at our daily expenses over the course of a month (how much time we spend in our various activities). This scrutiny helps us realize how much money (time) we are frittering away on things that don't really measure up in terms of priorities. That realization usually energizes our determination to invest that "frittered" money (time) in ways that will bring us a greater long term benefit. Long term benefits of investing = greater wealth, security, early retirement/financial independence, etc.; long term benefits of meditating = better physical and mental health, reduced stress, spiritual progress, etc.

Then there is the "shock" of actually implementing the change. Doing without the sundries that you used to spend your DRiP money on may make you feel kind of pinched for two or three months; it can be a slightly difficult and uncomfortable time. But after those few months, you realized that you have adjusted; you no longer feel deprived by not buying the chips or the bag of pistachios to go with your lunch. And pretty much the same thing happens when you begin to meditate: it feels a little strange at first and sometimes you may feel rushed, trying to "make time" for your daily meditations, but after the same brief adjustment period (two-three months), meditating becomes a natural part of your day.

In fact, you begin to look forward to meditating, just as you look forward to seeing those statements coming in from your DRiP account with your increasing (we hope) investment value.

This brings up another similarity: In DRiPping, we look for cumulative results over the long term; it is not productive to stress out on a daily basis about where the price of our (well chosen) stock may be at the moment. In meditation too, our results are cumulative and cannot be well measured in terms of the perceived quality of our daily efforts. Sometimes we may be in the middle of a meditation and feel that it is just a waste of time because we are too stressed or too tired or too distracted to get any good from it. But LTBH logic and DRiP discipline apply here as well: you don't sell just because your stock is having a bad day. Put in the time on schedule the same way you put in the funds on schedule; the practice of meditating helps the most when it feels like it is helping the least – just as your money buys more shares when the price is temporarily lower.

Oh, and one final thought about how DRiPping and meditating are alike: you just gotta DO IT – it won't happen any other way.

'Scuse me, now. I feel the urge to go make an extra deposit into my meditational account.

Have a great day, everyone!

Kate
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Why Should Berkshire Hathaway Survive?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement