Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm handling my mom's finances for her. She has had a Drip account for one stock for many years. Like many stocks, it plummetted a couple of years ago, but has only recovered slightly. So the thought of selling it, or at least some of it, has become a possibility.

Here's my problem. I don't have all of the paperwork and can't determine the cost basis for all of the share purchases. Mom has moved four times in the last six years, and I think a lot of this stuff was (Gulp!) tossed.

When the shares are sold, will the transfer company (which, I think, only started working with this Drip a few years ago) have the information, or am I up a creek? And if I'm up a creek, how do I handle this when reporting the sale on Mom's taxes?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.