UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: staciat2002 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1130  
Subject: DRIPs? Date: 6/7/2004 5:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey everyone,

New fool here with a quick question.

I'm about to start my junior year of undergrad school and I'd like to get started investing. I haven't thought about investing in a 401K or an IRA but plan to just as soon as I'm out of school and get a real job. I was thinking it might be a good idea to start out in a dividend reinvestment plan while I am still in school. I could invest small amounts of money that I wouldn't even miss. Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else?

-Stacia
Print the post Back To Top
Author: EzraThe1st Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1105 of 1130
Subject: Re: DRIPs? Date: 6/9/2004 1:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I think it would be foolish not to get started. But you need to be Foolish going about it. Get it? foolish, Foolish? Anyway, DRIPs are great becuase they provide the ability to easily invest small amounts of capital (I'm in college too, so I'm always broke) with minimal transaction cost over the long haul (greedy brokers). If you haven't already, maybe check out www.microivesting.net for some more Foolishness on DRIPs. I'd also look at the IRA thing while your in school, A little is better then nothing when it comes to the miracle of compounding. Also, once a 'year' is lost to an IRA, it's lost forever. You can't go back and invest 3000 or whatever the cap is now for years gone by. So let me know how it turns out.

Author: DiveBum82 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1106 of 1130
Subject: Re: DRIPs? Date: 7/14/2004 6:39 PM

Start Investing now and regularly when the chance arrises. Don't put all your eggs in this basket, but the long term benefits from this will be very beneficial for you. I graduate in December and have been doing the investing thing for about two years now, I already see the benefits. Good luck.

Regards,
Darren

Author: Scapelands Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1118 of 1130
Subject: Re: DRIPs? Date: 6/21/2005 7:06 PM
There is a DRIP discussion board in the Investing/Strategies heading. Very knowledgable crowd to help get you started. Yes, definately invest now. You can set up a personal IRA also with out having to be employed. 401Ks are the employer offered investing plans. Diversify your portfolio, with DRIPS, and a good index fund or two.

Best of luck!
Scapelands

Author: Scapelands Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1119 of 1130
Subject: Re: DRIPs? Date: 6/21/2005 7:06 PM
Wow, sorry, that post was a year old!! Oops.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement