UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2044  
Subject: Driving from Athens to Knoxville TN Date: 6/13/2012 9:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Tomorrow we're driving our motor home towing a car from Victoria Bryant State Park in Royston (NE of Athens) to Knoxville, with a stop in Madisonville TN. The GPS, Google Maps, and Apple's mapping program all want to send us through the north Georgia mountains. My friend in Athens sez head for Atlanta and north through Chattanooga.

What say you?
TIA.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2032 of 2044
Subject: Re: Driving from Athens to Knoxville TN Date: 6/14/2012 11:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The drive through the mountains will be pretty, but it is the end of the Applachians, so the pull might be a challenge. 78 (I think that's the road to Athens) to Perimeter/285 north, then west across the top of ATL to 75 north thru Chattanooga would probably be, maybe not easier because of the potential for hair-pulling traffic, but def easier on the vehicle.

IMO. YMMV.

Chili

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2033 of 2044
Subject: Re: Driving from Athens to Knoxville TN Date: 6/15/2012 8:07 AM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks, chilichild. We ended up going through presumably the lower elevations...IIRC, 145 to 320 from Royston to Toccoa, then west on 17, north on 441 to Clayton, west on 76 and north on 68 to Madisonville. It was very scenic, yes! Whilte the ups and downs a winding around were well within our towing capability, becaus it went on for hours, it was about as much as we'd ever do before driving the vehicles separately. As far as we can tell, no harm done to either vehicle or towing gear.

Since we're just boogieing through, we "camped" in a Walmart parking lot last night--cooking dinner, brushing teeth, and getting undressed in a strip mall parking lot never gets old ;-) Except twittering birds, road noise, and I think a little snoring from the hubster woke me up about 3:20am, and I never got back to sleep, all is well. Lucklly the hubster has little need of his navigator today as I've planned to follow the interstate practically to our friends' doorstep. I hope to get some shut-eye in the back of the rig while we chug down the road. After all, I need to be ready for happy hour when we arrive ;-)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement