UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75379  
Subject: Re: 401k investing Date: 10/27/1999 2:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
DrMerlot asks:

<<I have a 401k at my company. Is the 15%, 10K maximum restriction just for my portion, or is it for the sum of my portion and the match portion combined?>>

It depends on the type of defined contribution plan you have. A profit sharing plan is limited to 15% of compensation while a money purchase plan can go up to 25%. Many firms use the two in combination. Legally, you and your employer combined may contribute up to the lower of 25% of your compensation or $30K. You alone are limited to the lower of $10K or up to 25% of your gross compensation. The plan itself may further limit the percentage you may contribute, and many plans do so they will have an easier time of passing compliance/discrimination tests of the plan. It can get even more complicated. Suppose your plan has no percentage cap on your contribution, but it does match your contributions dollar-for-dollar up to 6% of your pay. You, then, would be limited to 19% of compensation (25% minus 6%) or $10K, whichever was less. Together you and your company would be contributing the 25%.

For details on your situation, you should talk with your benefits folks.

Regards..Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement