UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 66123  
Subject: Drobo Backup Date: 1/17/2013 10:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone use this for backup? Pricey, but it supports up to five drives. Not sure by reading how big a capacity drive it will support. But this could be a solution for photo/etc backup that would allow me to buy an iMac as opposed to a very pricey MacPro!

http://drobo.com/products/professionals/drobo-5d/

Got this from Scott Kelby

http://scottkelby.com/2008/my-photo-back-up-strategy/

Birgit
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BeenFooled Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62061 of 66123
Subject: Re: Drobo Backup Date: 1/17/2013 3:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have owned one of the original DROBOs for a few years. Reliable, does its job as described but is slow as molasses. The fact that they advertise "performance improvements" is probably a good thing.
Also be aware that because of the way it is designed, with "redundancy" and "data safety" at high priority, you have to feed it quite a bit more drive capacity than you expect you will need.
But otherwise it's definitely a good thing.
BF

Author: FlyingDiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62062 of 66123
Subject: Re: Drobo Backup Date: 1/17/2013 6:26 PM
Recommendations: 1
I have a drobo. Don't use it any more. Pros: dead simple to use. Cons: slow and noisy. Now I use a Synology NAS. Much faster, much quieter, many more features.

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62074 of 66123
Subject: Re: Drobo Backup Date: 1/20/2013 3:56 PM
Scott Kelby changed his mind.

I’m Done with drobo: http://scottkelby.com/2012/im-done-with-drobo/

I want to like Drobo, but their reputation worries me.

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62078 of 66123
Subject: Re: Drobo Backup Date: 1/21/2013 12:47 PM
Thanks for the link. Sounds like my Voyager! Will have to go through the comments of which there are a lot. I don't think I would like a system that is so proprietary that if the system goes, so go your drives! Although I should mention that when my Voyager died, I had to reformat the drives to get them back up working. And, I had to send a Seagate back twice!

I'm surprised that Kelby does not use a MacPro...you have space for 4 disks, can have an external disk (or two) and Time Capsule for TM.

Birgit

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62091 of 66123
Subject: Re: Drobo Backup Date: 1/22/2013 2:24 PM
I'm surprised that Kelby does not use a MacPro...you have space for 4 disks…

I'm not surprised. That's a lot of extra money to pay, just for the benefit of more internal storage.

Plus, you end up with that giant tower.

Almost all the creative pros I know have switched to iMacs.

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62092 of 66123
Subject: Re: Drobo Backup Date: 1/22/2013 4:41 PM
I'm not surprised. That's a lot of extra money to pay, just for the benefit of more internal storage.

Plus, you end up with that giant tower.

Almost all the creative pros I know have switched to iMacs.

I know...it is not particularly the giant tower which can sit under my desk...it is the very high price! OTOH, they are so reliable and easy to upgrade. Mine is going into its 6th year and still humming along...in spite of its weird behavior early last year..which it no longer exhibits. I wonder how many TBs HD it will support? Or does it matter.

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62093 of 66123
Subject: Re: Drobo Backup Date: 1/22/2013 6:30 PM
they are so reliable and easy to upgrade…

The same can be said for iMacs, though upgrading the internal drive isn't quite so easy.

But really, which is easier: Plugging in a USB external, or attaching a SATA internal?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement