Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445609  
Subject: drones Date: 1/28/2013 3:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Caught this late last week on NOVA. A very interesting program on drones. They cover everything from the seriously cool tech (it's amazing what they can get them to do now with sensors and self-guidance), to the uses both on battlefields and domestically. Well worth the time to watch.

These things are coming.** There's no way around it. We should be proactive in what we are going to allow to be done with them before others decide for us (IMHO).

http://video.pbs.org/video/2326108547

1poorguy

**OK...they're here...but this next generation is going to be amazing, and a little scary if we allow unfettered domestic use.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417168 of 445609
Subject: Re: drones Date: 1/28/2013 3:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
In case proprietary site videos won't play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OKluZFZoHs

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417169 of 445609
Subject: Re: drones Date: 1/28/2013 3:57 PM
Recommendations: 0
I didn't have that problem (I checked it before posting), but it never hurts to have more than one source! Assuming the YouTube isn't removed for violation of copyright.

Really good program. The little guys sort of reminded me of the "bug" drones in Minority Report (except these could fly). Moving so quickly, without direction. I could imagine a swarm of them flying into an area and spreading out...

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417171 of 445609
Subject: Re: drones Date: 1/28/2013 4:24 PM
**OK...they're here...but this next generation is going to be amazing, and a little scary if we allow unfettered domestic use.

i think they're already quite scary.

'we' seem to think they're effective in the 'War' on terrors, but they might well be making things worse.

[ at one point, someone says they're so accurate they can fire their missile through a window.... MY thought --how do we know who's in the room?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-114_Hellfire

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417172 of 445609
Subject: Re: drones Date: 1/28/2013 4:46 PM
MY thought --how do we know who's in the room?

It would have to be eyes on site, or the drone followed a perp into the house.

I'm sorta mixed on drone use in the "War". One scene they showed in the NOVA program I totally approve. They spot some guys firing off a mortar, loading it into their car, and driving to another location to fire off another. Taking them out I have no problem with. They're clearly combatants. The wedding convoy they described clearly was a blunder, and whatever led them to fire was not sufficient to justify firing (since they were a party of innocents).

Note that with OBL they could have drone-struck his house, but they weren't sure. So they sent in SEALs. Which is the way to do it, IMO. The SEALs then verified target and eliminated it. If it had been some Pashtun guy they (hopefully) would have just left.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417173 of 445609
Subject: Re: drones Date: 1/28/2013 4:50 PM
Every cop can have a quad copter/drone in the trunk of his patrol car.

Chasing a fence jumping suspect? No need to give chase... just launch the drone and have a donut while you follow the bad guy wherever. Wait for back-up, send in the canine unit....or maybe we'll get drones armed with tasers and/or tranquilizer guns!

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417178 of 445609
Subject: Re: drones Date: 1/28/2013 5:01 PM
MY thought --how do we know who's in the room?
=============
It would have to be eyes on site, or the drone followed a perp into the house.

follow the perp and somehow know she's the only one in the house?

I'm sorta mixed on drone use in the "War". One scene they showed in the NOVA program I totally approve. They spot some guys firing off a mortar, loading it into their car, and driving to another location to fire off another. Taking them out I have no problem with. They're clearly combatants. The wedding convoy they described clearly was a blunder, and whatever led them to fire was not sufficient to justify firing (since they were a party of innocents).

"clearly" is the puzzle.... clearly the guys with the mortar, clearly not the weeding party. Clearly they're making mistakes and we (maybe no one) knows how many* --and it's got to be pissing of the locals

Note that with OBL they could have drone-struck his house, but they weren't sure. So they sent in SEALs. Which is the way to do it, IMO. The SEALs then verified target and eliminated it. If it had been some Pashtun guy they (hopefully) would have just left.

suspect that was to be DNC that they got OBL ...NOT that they gave a shat about civilians.

but SEAL teams are generally too expensive.

*read an article that claimed there's estimates of at least 30%, maybe up to 50% non-combatants

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417179 of 445609
Subject: Re: drones Date: 1/28/2013 5:03 PM
Chasing a fence jumping suspect? No need to give chase... just launch the drone and have a donut while you follow the bad guy wherever. Wait for back-up, send in the canine unit....or maybe we'll get drones armed with tasers and/or tranquilizer guns!

i like the following..... slightly nervous about arming them

(if you saw the NOVA --they have one that fits in a back-pack , so cop could have several in the trunk

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417180 of 445609
Subject: Re: drones Date: 1/28/2013 5:07 PM
suspect that was to be DNC that they got OBL ...NOT that they gave a shat about civilians.

Probably true. But I think the procedure was correct. You're not sure, you send in folks to verify BEFORE you pull a trigger. May cost more dollars, but I think in terms of public image and p|ssing off locals, it's quite cheap.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417181 of 445609
Subject: Re: drones Date: 1/28/2013 5:11 PM
Don't forget the 'switchblade' unit. The one for combat was a suicide drone with an explosive charge, but they could just as easily make one like an electric eel. Instead of tasing the target, it rams them in the back delivering its charge (electric, not explosive). Knock you silly so ole Paddy can cuff you without putting down his donut.**

1poorguy

**No disrespect to cops intended. They do a difficult and dangerous job. I just used the imagery for emphasis.

Author: wizand One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417182 of 445609
Subject: Re: drones Date: 1/28/2013 5:11 PM
One interesting segment of the video shows a camera in a drone that
can hover over a medium size city and see EVERTHING down to 6 inches
all at once. The operator using real time or recorded data can open
up to 60 windows at various magnifications to track any event.
Crime control? Track hit and run drivers? Anyone who does not agree
with you?

Interestingly, it was developed using a very large array of cell phone
camera chips. It takes hundreds of terabytes to store per day to store
all of this data.

Wizand

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417183 of 445609
Subject: Re: drones Date: 1/28/2013 6:27 PM
Probably true. But I think the procedure was correct. You're not sure, you send in folks to verify BEFORE you pull a trigger. May cost more dollars, but I think in terms of public image and p|ssing off locals, it's quite cheap.

agree.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement