UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2894  
Subject: Drought Tolerant Corn Date: 8/24/2012 12:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Nightly Business Report tonight had a segment on drought tolerant corn being tested by all three seed suppliers: Monsanto, Dupont/Pioneer, and Syngenta. With all the drought stress this year, results should be informative.

They were impressed with the yield results. But cost will be about 10% higher and in a normal year, yield is the same. The advantage is there in dry years. Will farmers be willing to pay extra for that benefit?

We shall see.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PoodleLover Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2854 of 2894
Subject: Re: Drought Tolerant Corn Date: 8/24/2012 2:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Not so sure I'd even want to eat anything (gene modified) by any of those fake "seed companies". Just my take on our world today and where I see "us" going...

Author: gdett2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2855 of 2894
Subject: Re: Drought Tolerant Corn Date: 8/24/2012 3:23 PM
Recommendations: 2
PoodleLover,

All you need to do is stop eating tofu and soy products, bread and wheat products, beef, pork, chicken, turkey, eggs and many other products from food stores. You can grow your own or buy from known sources, either local or Whole Foods and similar places.

All this corn, 99%, is field corn, not sweet corn or popcorn. It is used as feed, plastic, ethanol and some other products.

Something else to consider: As the population continues to grow, farming gets pushed from good production areas and expands to marginal production areas that produce less per acre and generally have a tougher time during poor growing conditions. Without an increased food supply, what happens?

Also, people are all concerned about global warming and the devastation of the rain forests in Brazil being turned into crop land, contributing to global warming, to grow food for this growing population.

Going back to heirloom seed sources, the per acre production drops 30% to 50%. No Roundup-ready or other trait management. More weeds and insect damage, less production. Higher chances total crop failure in an area due to wheat rust and other viruses, insect invasions and weed spread.

At some time in the future it may come down to which people should eat, which should be on reduced rations or even which should starve?

We all have ideas and comfort levels, but how do they fit in the big picture?

Gene

Author: PoodleLover Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2856 of 2894
Subject: Re: Drought Tolerant Corn Date: 8/24/2012 10:39 PM
Recommendations: 0
Gene... and this is why we're growing our own corn now and not feeding the conglomerates.

I know much of this gene modified corn gets into our food system... the sad part is the populous has no control over this and has no idea what to long-term outcome will be. Neither does Monsanto, Dupont/Pioneer, Syngenta or the FDA.

Looking forward, guess the next generation gets to deal with those "new" diseases and maybe even some that we're now immune to. Just glad I'll not have to be around to deal with it...

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2857 of 2894
Subject: Re: Drought Tolerant Corn Date: 8/25/2012 4:11 PM
the sad part is the populous has no control over this

To the contrary, there are farmers out there willing to raise whatever you are willing to pay for. Get together with your local coop, and come up with enough demand and your wishes will be met.

This is not unlike the "made in China" problem. Most consumers want whatever they buy as cheaply as they can get it. But those who are willing to pay for better can often find craftsmen willing to custom make it--whether it is clothing, furniture, or even hardware. Food is like that too.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2858 of 2894
Subject: Re: Drought Tolerant Corn Date: 8/25/2012 4:13 PM
And should I add: if you think global warming is real, investing in drought tolerant corn (and other crops) is a no-brainer.

Author: haywool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2859 of 2894
Subject: Re: Drought Tolerant Corn Date: 8/25/2012 7:30 PM
Recommendations: 2
Cross post to Foolish Collective

Hey Paul !

"Drought tolerant corn"?

That's cool ! But, I'm gonna have a problem with that one.

You may (or may not) know that I'm a farmer in central Illinois. The crops won't be the greatest this year. I didn't see the NBR segment, but as a general rule (duh) plants need water. In order to promote kernel growth, it's gotta have water. Granted, during a drought, the plant will shut down seed production and just try to survive and produce only what's possible for the next generation (seed). Some varieties already are better producers during a water shortage than others. Maybe that can be improved upon, but we're not gonna have any "bin buster" yields without rains at critical times.

The research will be there and if there is a variety that is labeled as "drought tolerant", I'm not sure that I, as a farmer" would be willing to pay the seed price for that kind of insurance. An 80,000 kernel bag of seed corn is already almost $300. I think I can buy "all weather" crop insurance for a lot less than what that seed will cost.

Interesting article, thanx,
Rich (haywool)

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2860 of 2894
Subject: Re: Drought Tolerant Corn Date: 8/26/2012 12:19 AM
>> Not so sure I'd even want to eat anything (gene modified) by any of those fake "seed companies". Just my take on our world today and where I see "us" going... <<

I'm not a big fan of "Frankencrops", but let's be real. We have 7 BILLION people on Earth and most experts suspect it will hit at least 9 billion by the time it plateaus.

Given limited land, weather problems, water concerns and increasing overpopulation, how do we NOT turn to "genetic engineering" in crops without accepting that an increasing percentage of the population will starve? Are you willing to make the choice between "Frankencorn" and more starvation deaths?

Author: ROCKJCP Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2863 of 2894
Subject: Re: Drought Tolerant Corn Date: 9/5/2012 10:32 AM
Drought resistant products will be a boom to MON sales. Many good things on the way from MON!

Author: ROCKJCP Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2864 of 2894
Subject: Re: Drought Tolerant Corn Date: 9/8/2012 5:23 PM
A large number of analysts are seeing a good deal of upside for MON! I'm positive for a multitude of reasons!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement