UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 46837  
Subject: Drought tolerant corn Date: 8/25/2012 4:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
If you think global warming is real, investing in drought tolerant corn (and other crops) should be a no brainer.

http://boards.fool.com/drought-tolerant-corn-30221822.aspx
Print the post Back To Top
Author: haywool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46584 of 46837
Subject: Re: Drought tolerant corn Date: 8/25/2012 7:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Hey Paul !

"Drought tolerant corn"?

That's cool ! But, I'm gonna have a problem with that one.

You may (or may not) know that I'm a farmer in central Illinois. The crops won't be the greatest this year. I didn't see the NBR segment, but as a general rule (duh) plants need water. In order to promote kernel growth, it's gotta have water. Granted, during a drought, the plant will shut down seed production and just try to survive and produce only what's possible for the next generation (seed). Some varieties already are better producers during a water shortage than others. Maybe that can be improved upon, but we're not gonna have any "bin buster" yields without rains at critical times.

The research will be there and if there is a variety that is labeled as "drought tolerant", I'm not sure that I, as a farmer" would be willing to pay the seed price for that kind of insurance. An 80,000 kernel bag of seed corn is already almost $300. I think I can buy "all weather" crop insurance for a lot less than what that seed will cost.

Interesting article, thanx,
Rich (haywool)

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46585 of 46837
Subject: Re: Drought tolerant corn Date: 8/26/2012 1:05 AM
Out here in corn country we are hearing quite a bit about counting ears in 17 ft of row. I know many are concerned.

The clips they showed in drought test areas sure had nice ears. But of course, it depends on what results you actually get in your fields.

If global warming is real, and drought comes year after year, a lot may have to change. But lets hope this is just the occasional bad year.

Author: haywool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46586 of 46837
Subject: Re: Drought tolerant corn Date: 8/26/2012 2:13 PM
Recommendations: 3
Hey Paul !

But lets hope this is just the occasional bad year.

If history repeats itself, (I think it does) then this is the occasional one. We've had dry before ... we've had wet before.

Some combines are moving around here, not ours yet, and the results aren't good. But they are in the worst fields - poor soil, poor fertility, bad planting date, etc. I'll let you know about us in about 2500 acres of corn.

Rich (haywool)

Author: PaulEngr Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46587 of 46837
Subject: Re: Drought tolerant corn Date: 8/26/2012 10:21 PM
2-3 degrees is not enough to cause dramatic shifts in the climate on the scale that would require a completely different plant, even if we actually get to the worst case being promoted by the East Anglo Liar's Society, err, Climate Research department.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46588 of 46837
Subject: Re: Drought tolerant corn Date: 8/27/2012 2:22 PM
The good news is the hurricane seems headed our way. That could mean some rain to at least replenish soil moisture. I don't know about timing, but the refilling the reservoirs is a plus.

Sorry about those who get the worst of the winds, but by the time it gets up here, it will probably be just rain.

Author: haywool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46589 of 46837
Subject: Re: Drought tolerant corn Date: 8/27/2012 11:09 PM
...but by the time it gets up here, it will probably be just rain.

Or maybe just the wind :-) Sorry, Paul, I just couldn't help myself.

Rich (haywool)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement