Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: gtemple Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18096  
Subject: DRUM BRAKES Date: 11/5/2000 7:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is there a reason Taurus has drum brakes? Honda Accord has disc all wheels. F lost a sale to a family member recently, I push the products where I hold stock, I had no compelling answer to justify rear drums to the purchaser.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kevinaom One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4871 of 18096
Subject: Re: DRUM BRAKES Date: 11/5/2000 7:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Less expensive I gather?

Author: walnutstreet Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4883 of 18096
Subject: Re: DRUM BRAKES Date: 11/6/2000 5:09 PM
Hi All,
I believe that you are correct. It is cheaper and the company has long experience with the combined rear drum and emergency brake design. Currently the emergency brake has a cable link to actuate the rear drum shoes. If you take away the drums you have redesign the emergency brake system.
I do think it is time for Ford to get on the 4 wheel disc brake bandwagon.
Regards

Author: titantomfool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4885 of 18096
Subject: Re: DRUM BRAKES Date: 11/6/2000 6:11 PM
Drum brakes have an efficiency advantage.They releae completly disks drag for a while after use. The proporting valve is such that at city speeds the rear drum brakes do the job. I doubt that your relative drives fast enough to overheat drum brakes.

Author: kevinaom One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4887 of 18096
Subject: Re: DRUM BRAKES Date: 11/6/2000 8:19 PM
One other quick point. I think you will find drum brakes to be easier to maintain and much less expensive to maintain (ever have to buy a rotor for disk brakes).

Further, I believe about 60% to 70% of the braking is done by the front so drums in the back should not be an issue.

Author: bigerny Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4899 of 18096
Subject: Re: DRUM BRAKES Date: 11/7/2000 5:56 PM
I thought the front-brakes did around 85% of the braking. I believe the main reason for drum brakes was if the car started to roll with the emergency brake on, drum brakes twist and bite into the drum harder, where disc brakes are easier to roll after they break the static friction down.

bigerny

Author: gtemple Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4902 of 18096
Subject: Re: DRUM BRAKES Date: 11/8/2000 12:04 PM
Thank you all for your feedback on drum brakes.

Author: HOGrider Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4904 of 18096
Subject: Re: DRUM BRAKES Date: 11/8/2000 4:47 PM
Kevinaom,
I believe for most average braking drum rear brakes only supply closer to 10% of the stopping power. In repairing many of my own cars over the past decades, many with high mileage, I have often found front discs need resurfacing and pads twice as often as rear drums & shoes.

Also of interest, my heavy duty special suspension F-150 still has rear brake drums and that is with camper and towing packages. If rear discs were waranted you'd think they would be put there before a pass car just to keep up with the Joneses.

The Taurus SHO had 4 wheel discs, warranted due to the superior driving packages on that vehcile. My grand mother could care less about such amenities on her church goin' grocery shopin' car.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement