UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75379  
Subject: Re: Roth IRA acct and safekeeping fees Date: 10/1/2013 5:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
dsr10,

You wrote, For example, a Wells Trade account (yes, possibly a bad choice, but a good example of why I have this question) charges $150 per position, with the footnote of "Safekeeping fee is only charged on those securities eligible to be held in street name"

Before everyone jumps to conclusions here, I'd call Wells Trade and ask about this fee.

I think this safekeeping fee is only if you deposit certificates issued in your name with Wells Trade AND you want them kept in your name AND the issuer offers the option to hold them in street name. Street name is where the issuer's trustee just makes an accounting entry that records the holding broker's name and number of shares. No physical certificates are issued.

If I'm right, the safekeeping fee is an unusual fee designed to discourage the account holder from depositing physical shares for safe-keeping. Essentially they're charging the account holder a maintenance fee to physically store the certificates in a safe; but they're still offering it as a service.

Likely the reason other deep discount brokers don't list this fee is because they won't accept physical certificates unless you are willing to have them transferred to street name. In other words, they don't want to be physically responsible for your certificates.

Just my opinion...
- Joel
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement