Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71152  
Subject: Duck's next car Date: 8/28/2007 10:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://photos.vehicledata.com/ss/71/08/1s/JTLKT324264067108-1S.jpg

We ARE selling the Aztek on our own, parking it out on our front lawn and we'll see what happens. During the past weekend we've been looking around. MrsDuck spotted this and (doing the Number One thing you DON'T do when looking at vehicles, don't FALL IN LOVE WITH THE CAR, DANGIT!) decided we'll put in a bid for it.

Last night I went and tested and negotiated a price on the linked vehicle, this green xB. ("xB" is "Box" backwards...sort of....)

I'll give y'all the details later as we have everything negotiated except for the addition of cruise control. It's got every other imaginable option BUT cruise control...go figure. It's a 2006 with 30K miles. But this was a fairly easy process, I managed to get the same "old man" salesman that sold us MrsDuck's Prius three years ago. Easy to work with.

Duck
Print the post Back To Top
Author: gam321 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55828 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/28/2007 10:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 48
Congratulations...You picked the one car that is uglier than an Aztek.

Author: MonksterFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55829 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/28/2007 11:07 AM
Recommendations: 1
Holy Jesus, how did that thing make it out of the test phase?

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55830 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/28/2007 11:13 AM
Recommendations: 3
Congratulations...You picked the one car that is uglier than an Aztek.

I just assisted my wife in getting a new car. Hard to bluff when the pupils turn to heart shapes. But, she's in love again. That trumps just about anything, even the urge to remove the little smile from the salesman's lips that said to me: "we both know she wants it, and you will do whatever it takes to get it for her."

Richard

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55831 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/28/2007 12:11 PM
Holy Jesus, how did that thing make it out of the test phase?

It may not be the prettiest car on the planet, but it actually is one of the more practical cars.

It's very easy to get in an out of. You don't have to get out of a low seating position like you do in many sedans. And you don't have to climb up into the seat like you do in many trucks. And that makes is popular with older folks (much to the distress of Toyota management, who were aiming for the first car owner demographic). They can get in an out of the car very easily.

It has good room in the back seat for passengers. And the back will hold lots of luggage or other stuff.

A smallish engine means it gets pretty good fuel economy.

It is an inexpensive car, particularly for the practicality you get.

And it's made by Toyota, which lends it a reputation for quality and reliability.

The xB is a very popular car in my area (Southern California). That ... ummm ... bright green would hardly be noticed around here.

All in all, its a decent choice of a vehicle.

As long as you can get inside of it quickly so as to avoid looking at the exterior more than necessary. ;-)

--Peter <== who figures the final blessing of the xB will be when SP picks a used one up as a replacement when his Reliant finally dies an unrepairable death.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55834 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/28/2007 1:49 PM
<<--Peter <== who figures the final blessing of the xB will be when SP picks a used one up as a replacement when his Reliant finally dies an unrepairable death.
>>

That happened last December, and I replaced it with a '95 Checy Astro with 179,000 miles on it.

It's sorta a larger version of Ducks vehicle-to-be.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: dbruce100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55835 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/28/2007 1:58 PM
I gotta see how Duck dresses. LOL

Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55836 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/28/2007 2:15 PM
Recommendations: 5
I gotta see how Duck dresses.

I put my pants on every day like everyone else does...over my head.

Duck

Author: Snowytenn2 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55837 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/28/2007 3:41 PM

I gotta see how Duck dresses. LOL

Maybe Duck or Mrs. Duck, or neither.

http://www.mbahs.org/images/2007/Rubber%20Ducky%2007/MADAM-DUCK.jpg

Jim

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55838 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/28/2007 3:43 PM
I just assisted my wife in getting a new car. Hard to bluff when the pupils turn to heart shapes. But, she's in love again. That trumps just about anything, even the urge to remove the little smile from the salesman's lips that said to me: "we both know she wants it, and you will do whatever it takes to get it for her."

1992, after needing to have a car THAT weekend, going to three dealers in Metro DC to shop money, and then finding the ONE fourth dealer that had the Toyota Camry, V-6 XLE in the exact color that DW adored. After me saying to the salesman on the lot "Yeah, I think we'd like to buy today if there were a really good deal on one like this one", DW turned to me incredulously and said "Wait a minute! I told you this is the only color I'll take."

Give the salesman credit ... he only grinned, and charged me about $400 more than I could have gotten for almost any other color. She's a keeper!

Hockeypop

Author: martybl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55839 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/29/2007 1:37 AM
All in all, its a decent choice of a vehicle.

Duck has already proven with the Aztek and the Prius that he marches to a different automotive drummer than I do. I'm happy for him, and hope he and the xB have a long and happy relationship. Having said that, I'm surprised to see anyone endorsing the choice. I think the board has finally found the answer to the question, "What car would you LESS rather drive than the '06 Mercury Montego?"

Smallish? 1.5L and 103hp??? You have a gift for understatement. Miniscule? Tiny? I understand that the vehicle (car, truck, who knows?) is relatively light, 2400-2500 lb., but still, talk about underpowered. The power is puny even for the displacement - Honda gets at least 20 more horses out of the same displacement.

Predictably, the engine generates scary acceleration numbers. 0-60 10.6 sec. in the automatic, a tich under ten seconds with the manual. The Montego that we had concluded was underpowered would leave it in the dust. C&D tested our '04 Sienna at almost THREE seconds quicker, at 7.8 sec., and I can attest to the fact that the Sienna is no dragster. I'd hate to have to pull into busy SoCal or Phoenix traffic in the xB.

It has good room in the back seat for passengers. And the back will hold lots of luggage or other stuff.

If it's slow empty, I don't even want to think about how slow it would become after you add another few hundred pounds.

It's very easy to get in an out of. You don't have to get out of a low seating position like you do in many sedans.

You know, I don't get this one. I'm over fifty, 25-30 lbs. overweight, and have a touch of inflammatory arthritis, and I've never noticed having a hard time getting in and out of my Mustangs, TransAms, or more recently, my Corvette and RSX, or the current ///M Coupe., all lower than most sedans.

Most of you probably read the "Cars & Drivers" board as well, but if you don't, I'd like to recommend a post by COJones100, http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25845283 , where he says, "the premium on a really fun machine is often very little." Words to live by.

I hope that in the coming months we end up discussing Civic Si's, and Mazdaspeed 3's, and hemi Chrysler products, and perhaps even the odd Corvette or Viper or Porsche. I also hope that the Miata and S2000 contingent continue to keep us posted on these neat little cars.

martybl

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55840 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/29/2007 2:39 AM
Recommendations: 8
Having said that, I'm surprised to see anyone endorsing the choice.

You're surprised anyone has different tastes than you? That's pretty darn arrogant if you ask me.

Smallish? 1.5L and 103hp??? You have a gift for understatement.

And apparently you have a gift for creativity. The brochure I just downloaded for the xB shows a 2.4L engine with 158 hp. Granted, nowhere near your beloved testosterone cars, but plenty to get the rig moving down the highway.

You know, I don't get this one. I'm over fifty, 25-30 lbs. overweight, and have a touch of inflammatory arthritis, and I've never noticed having a hard time getting in and out of my Mustangs, TransAms, or more recently, my Corvette and RSX, or the current ///M Coupe., all lower than most sedans.

Wait until that touch of arthritis turns into a debilitating arthritis. Or you start considering a knee or hip replacement. All of a sudden, getting in and out of a car will start taking on a new importance to you.

where he says, "the premium on a really fun machine is often very little." Words to live by.

Unless you can't afford that premium but still need some reliable transportation. Starting at under $17k MSRP, an xB is pretty inexpensive. When money is tight, that starts getting pretty important. A little premium for some fun isn't there for everyone.

I hope that in the coming months we end up discussing Civic Si's, and Mazdaspeed 3's, and hemi Chrysler products, and perhaps even the odd Corvette or Viper or Porsche. I also hope that the Miata and S2000 contingent continue to keep us posted on these neat little cars.

And what about folks who need to get a family of 4 around on a regular basis? Do we leave them out in the cold? Or should they just put the kid in the trunk of the Miata and the baby on mom's lap?

--Peter

Author: dbruce100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55841 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/29/2007 3:04 AM
And apparently you have a gift for creativity. The brochure I just downloaded for the xB shows a 2.4L engine with 158 hp. Granted, nowhere near your beloved testosterone cars, but plenty to get the rig moving down the highway.

And you need to do more research. This is a 2006 model, and you are correct it doesn't have 105 HP.....it has 103.

Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55842 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/29/2007 8:38 AM
Duck has already proven with the Aztek and the Prius that he marches to a different automotive drummer than I do. I'm happy for him, and hope he and the xB have a long and happy relationship.

Just come right out and say it, "Duck is just <effing> weird!"

Smallish? 1.5L and 103hp??? You have a gift for understatement. Miniscule? Tiny? I understand that the vehicle (car, truck, who knows?) is relatively light, 2400-2500 lb., but still, talk about underpowered. The power is puny even for the displacement - Honda gets at least 20 more horses out of the same displacement.
Predictably, the engine generates scary acceleration numbers. 0-60 10.6 sec. in the automatic, a tich under ten seconds with the manual.

I'm not saying I'm NOT a speed freak or a speed prude. I've just driven LOTS of very pedestrian cars and a lot of the slow "economy" vehicles in the past, such that, in comparison, this xB goes like spit! I've owned a diesel VW, I've had pickup trucks with straight sixes and manual transmissions, and other pokey things, even the first-generation Prius is a slow, sewing machine that takes a bit to wind up (with the CVT). But also, the size and flat handling of the xB make it feel a little more exciting.

It feels fun to drive, although the numbers don't really show that at all.

Duck

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55843 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/29/2007 8:46 AM
Recommendations: 5

Isn't that why the Cars & Drivers exists? To talk about performance. I thought this board was for discussions about car purchases and maintenance. Some of us just care about getting from point A to point B. The road doesn't need the curves and dips to make the drive fun. We don't need 10,000 step wax jobs to impress the people on the street.

IF

Author: JustGeorge Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55849 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/29/2007 6:34 PM
Duck,
if you get the Scion in the picture you should change your user name to Froggy Frog!!

--George

Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55853 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 8/29/2007 9:37 PM
Duck,
if you get the Scion in the picture you should change your user name to Froggy Frog!!

Nah, I was thinking of changing my handle to DuckInABox.

Duck

Author: UKBB Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55885 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 9/1/2007 12:07 PM

Not so true anymore:

The 2008 xB is a 4-door, 5-passenger wagon, available in one trim only, the 5-Door Wagon.

Upon introduction, the xB is equipped with a standard 2.4-liter, I4, 158-horsepower engine that achieves 22-mpg in the city and 28-mpg on the highway.

http://autos.yahoo.com/scion_xb/

UKBB

Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55915 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 9/4/2007 8:55 AM
The 2008 xB is a 4-door, 5-passenger wagon, available in one trim only, the 5-Door Wagon.
Upon introduction, the xB is equipped with a standard 2.4-liter, I4, 158-horsepower engine that achieves 22-mpg in the city and 28-mpg on the highway.

True. I saw a couple at the dealer, they are indeed BIGGER than the 2007 and earlier xB's.

I'm just hoping somebody gets their act together in the future and make some MORE small wagons besides Subaru's....

Duck

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55923 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 9/4/2007 12:50 PM
I'm just hoping somebody gets their act together in the future and make some MORE small wagons besides Subaru's....

Toyota Matrix ? Mazda 3 ? I had my Civic coupe parked next to some model of Volvo wagon that was the same size or shorter than the Civic.

rad

Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55924 of 71152
Subject: Re: Duck's next car Date: 9/4/2007 1:18 PM
Toyota Matrix ?

Back seat is VERY non-existent, both with the Matrix AND the Pontiac Vibe clone.

Mazda 3 ?

Again, no back seat after I adjust the driver's seat to any position where I can fit.

I think my ultimate "ideal" wagons would be:

1) A VW Passat TDI
2) A Subaru Outback/Legacy wagon with a bigger back seat.
3) A Volvo V70 with a bigger back seat.
4) A Mazda5 with traction control or AWD.
5) A Mazda6 wagon with a bigger back seat.
6) A Chevy Malibu Maxx with a deeper/longer rear cargo area.

Duck

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement