Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121592  
Subject: Duplicate SSN Date: 6/14/2014 3:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Back in April I mentioned that my efiling was rejected because someone else had filed with my SSN. I was advised to wait for the IRS to contact me about this. So far they haven't.

Have I waited long enough? Should I contact the IRS or wait some more?

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 121003 of 121592
Subject: Re: Duplicate SSN Date: 6/17/2014 2:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Did you file your return on paper? If so, have you received any refund claimed on that return?

--Peter

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 121004 of 121592
Subject: Re: Duplicate SSN Date: 6/17/2014 9:33 AM
Did you file your return on paper? If so, have you received any refund claimed on that return?

Yes, mailed it in. But no refund was due. No taxes were paid and none were owed to the feds.

--fleg

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 121007 of 121592
Subject: Re: Duplicate SSN Date: 6/17/2014 2:30 PM
Recommendations: 2
Yes, mailed it in. But no refund was due. No taxes were paid and none were owed to the feds.

Then you may not hear anything. If your taxes wouldn't change by eliminating your personal exemption, then the IRS may not bother to look into the situation.

However, if you filed the identity theft form, that should definitely generate correspondence from the IRS.

--Peter

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 121009 of 121592
Subject: Re: Duplicate SSN Date: 6/17/2014 5:38 PM
if you filed the identity theft form, that should definitely generate correspondence from the IRS.

I didn't file it. One of this board's pros (I don't recall who) recommended that I just paper file and that the IRS would contact me when it saw the second occurrence of my SSN. So that's what I did.

Do you recommend filing the ID theft form now?

--fleg

Author: hk2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 121012 of 121592
Subject: Re: Duplicate SSN Date: 6/18/2014 9:39 AM
Recommendations: 1
However, if you filed the identity theft form, that should definitely generate correspondence from the IRS

I'd do this.

Imagine that the other filer claimed (and received) a large refund based on bogus data.

A refund that is linked to your SSN.

Now imagine that the IRS wants their money back.....

Jim

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement